Acrytech coating?

Belva

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

That came out great. Do you have to do anything special when applying it, or do you just slather it on?

The trial kit comes with a textured roller and instructions. Putting on thin coats yields less texture and thick coats gives more texture. The directions also say a bit of water can be added to give an orange peel effect.

Black and white are the only available colors, but I'll bet the white can be tinted rather easily.

I really don't see me going the tolex route ever again because of the low price and ease of application. 20 bucks to do 2 112 cabs? Can't match that with tolex. Also the second amp was going up for sale. But it sounds so good with this unknown brand 12" speaker it ain't going nowhere!

• Members

The coating on JBL cabs is called Duraflex. Looks like the same thing. But, what you have is much less expensive. JBL sells a "patch kit" that comes in a "caulk tube" container for $90 + shipping. I hear it's made by a company called Futura and repackaged by JBL, but I can't verify that. Did you order your kit direct or find it local?

• Members

I ordered direct from the link above. Looking again, the 'trial' kit is only available in black. But shipping was free and I got it in two days. Alan, your shipping time should be similar. I live in Spokane.

• Members

Only product I've used is Duratex, applies just like what the OP did. Holds up fairly well and is easy to touch up. I contacted Line-X for a quote on some BagEnd double 18 cabs. They only wanted $85/cab.

The package says Duratex.

• Members

Anybody try this stuff? Sounds like an easy way to get a speaker cab dont.

I ordered a trial size. I'll be posting results in about a week. Hopefully someone can tell me anything to watch out for?

I have used this stuff and it is easy, easy, easy to put on. Go to YouTube and search for Duratex. There are several videos - its what sold me. I have gotten great, professional looking results with their texture roller.

I am building a wood container for my pickup to hold gear that won't fit in the trailer. I am using speaker coating in white for it. Once you get a few coats on wood, it is watertight. I will use a regular roller for a smoother surface to reduce dirt buildup.

A gallon costs about $52, but the shipping is a killer at about $15/gallon.

• Members

Once you prove the product to yourself, order in bulk. If you know you'll be using this stuff for all your future projects, then get four gallons at a time. Check around town for paint/chemical distributors, and ask them to order it for you. Maybe they'll get you cheaper shipping costs as well.

Do they sell it in 5-gallon buckets?

• Members

They might have larger containers that are not listed on the website. Buying multiple gallons at a time will not save any money on shipping. I complained about same shipping price per gallon even when I ordered multiple gallons. They answered back saying that they can only ship one gallon per box due to govt regulations. It is still worth it. A gallon goes a long ways!

• Members

Per their PDF you can get 130 SQFT coverage per gallon using a hopper gun. I have a hopper gun, so I figure I could cover about 5 to 6 112 closed back cabs. I'm gonna have to crunch some numbers figuring pine, 1/2" birch ply and speaker cloth added to the cost of this. If I can get $150 per cab I may make a bit of money but not much. I also have to figure in corners, handles, hardware and the ever present misc.

BTW anybody know a site that sells misc.?:rolleyes::lol:

Archived