I'm thinking of buyinig a Martin 000-42.

SE1081

• Members

I'm planning on ordering one in two months or so, I'm going to do as much research as I can. Stumpwood is a major concern of mine! I really love the clapton model and the regular 000-28, I just really want the "style 45" logo and a thinner moddified v neck.

I really want to keep it exactly the same as the 000-42, except for the neck and back and side wood. I'm also thinking of getting some of their old ivory on the bridge and nut, if they have any left.

I wonder what the upcharge for cocobolo would be? It's more plentiful than Brazilian (no stumpwood), and a lot of people prefer the tone. Just askin'...

• Members

Who's kid is that in your avatar? You hiding something from me, man?

It's some guy on here who's starting {censored} with me, so I put a picture of his kid with the caption "is this my daddy?" b/c his dad has 22,000 post and not enough time to be a father b/c he's picking fights on HC.

• Members
It's some guy on here who's starting {censored} with me, so I put a picture of his kid with the caption "is this my daddy?" b/c his dad has 22,000 post and not enough time to be a father b/c he's picking fights on HC.

LOL. Great idea SE. I love it! :D :D

• Members
Nice looking guitar, other than that P/G...pity it's not a nice looking "tortoiseshell"...

1959 right. Remember the tail lights on the '59 impala.. not to mention two tone cars of all persuasions. Like that pink and white DeSoto..salmon and cream I think they called it. Tortoise was old hat I guess. Still, if it was tortoise they probably would want another 4 grand.

• Members

I invested about 10 grand on 125 Brazilian Rosewod Back and side sets over the years. I bought the stuff in bulk...sold off the lower grade stuff on Ebay to recoup some of the expenses and kept all the quartersawn AAAA Brazilian.

I'm all set to build guitar well into my retirement.

• Members

To keep the 000-42 topic going, this has an incredible discussion by Todd

Stuart Phillips about this git and all its brethern. After reading this and the talk about what the pearl purfling does for the sound (really) I think I'd better build myself an 000-41 to go along side the 12 string.

http://p082.ezboard.com/ftheunofficialmartinguitarforumfrm4.showMessageRange?topicID=37234.topic

What'cha think, Guitarcapo, any truth to that? And are you interested in parting with one of your Braz sets?

• Members

I had a 000-28 for a couple of years, and like it so much that I'm planning to get another -- sooner rather than later. I tend to see a 000-42 as pretty much the same thing, but with more bling, though I recognize that you're looking for one with Brazillian, so the comparison may not hold. I had a D-28 prior to my current D-41 and can safely say that the difference is tone is minimal - there's probably as much variation to be found within either the D-28 or D-41 lines as there is between them. But my D-41 isn't Brazillian.;)

Still, I can't help thinking that for $8K I could get another 000-28 and enough money left for a Collings.:eek:

• Members

Wow! $8,000 for a guitar? I could buy 4 or 5 awesome (to me) guitars for $8,000. I'm glad I'm easy to please when it comes to guitars, otherwise I would end up paying $500 a week in child support after the wife kicked me out. ;)

Good luck with that and be sure to post some pictures after you get it. :thu:

• Members
Wow! $8,000 for a guitar? I could buy 4 or 5 awesome (to me) guitars for $8,000. I'm glad I'm easy to please when it comes to guitars, otherwise I would end up paying $500 a week in child support after the wife kicked me out.
;)

Good luck with that and be sure to post some pictures after you get it.
:thu:

I would (if able) spend it in the blink of an eye but only on a vintage git. The problem then is that $8K ain't enuf. A 000-42 from '38 to '43 is listed at $40K. A similar 000-45 is $75K. Ain't life grand? Where's all that dough come from? If I'm gonna spend $40K it's gonna be on one of these. Keep the Larri 2d6w0p5.jpg

Archived