I'm thinking of buyinig a Martin 000-42.

SE1081

• Members

anyone love or hate this model? I was thinking of putting the hurt on my bank account and ordering one in brazilian rosewood, but think my ole' lady would leave my stupid ass if she ever found out about it. I have a cheap soild top epiphone that sounds and plays very well, but need to step it up a notch!

• Members

anyone love or hate this model? I was thinking of putting the hurt on my bank account and ordering one in brazilian rosewood, but think my ole' lady would leave my stupid ass if she ever found out about it. I have a cheap soild top epiphone that sounds and plays very well, but need to step it up a notch!

nice guitar. not worth losing your wife over, though. And there's a whole world of good guitars between your current "cheap solid top Epi" and that Martin.

Find one that both you & your wife can live with.

(perhaps the OM21 might bridge this gap)

• Members

So that would be basically an ECB without Clapton's name? I would call that "stepping up a notch". Is Martin doing Braz customs and what is the upcharge? I heard that the run of only 50 D-28A's was because of the limited stash of Braz (and even at a list of $40K it is sold out).

Frankly, I alway thought the 000-45SS was a pretty nice git too - but then I'm a 12 fret slot head sort of guy.

And I'm going to guess that if you can afford a custom Brazilian 000-42 you can probably find a new wife pretty easily

• Members

And I'm going to guess that if you can afford a custom Brazilian 000-42 you can probably find a new wife pretty easily

I went one better, I kept my wife, and got her to front me the cash for an OM-21. Her cookie jar is always fuller than mine, guess cause she dosen't get GAS. By the time my playing catches up to the OM-21, she will be ready for a younger husband anyway.:love:

• Members

I went one better, I kept my wife, and got her to front me the cash for an OM-21. Her cookie jar is always fuller than mine, guess cause she dosen't get GAS. By the time my playing catches up to the OM-21, she will be ready for a younger husband anyway.
:love:

Smart man. My sweetie gave me my Taylor a few years ago. Don't even mind that it isn't Braz. And to quote that great women's blues trio (Saphire) - "Give me a young, young man..."

• Members

I got a quote from martin's custom shop, it's going to run me about 8 or so grand. As far as my girlfriend, who I call my ole' lady (sorry for the confusion, not that it matters) she'll assume it's a standard 000-42 that I paid 4k for.

The Brazilian rosewood option starts at $2,500 and increases by the grain quality, I

• Members

it's going to run me about 8 or so grand. As far as my girlfriend, who I call my ole' lady (sorry for the confusion, not that it matters) she'll assume it's a standard 000-42 that I paid 4k for.

Martin's custom shop is not nearly as expensive as anyone would assume, the only problem is the resell value if you make some drastic changes from the original version....your name on it, crazy colors, etc.

Thanks for all the input

I guess if it were me & I had to spend $8K and lie about the price, I would put it in the category of "expensive".

• Members

Ahh, just get something cheap like a Froggy Bottom. Its at least a small step up from your Epi.;) I like Martins, but think many lack in features the more expensive they get. If you want something extremely flashy you have to dish out a little extra(but its only money right?). Like this-

$9,000

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/images20000-20999/ngb20044-bourgeoispresentaionom/index.html

or this

$7,500

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/images22000-22999/ngb22018-froggybottomh12koabbdlx/index.html

just for reference this Martin "retails" for $15,000(good to see Martin enjoys a good Joke now and then)

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/images21000-21999/ngb21280-martin00028vsb/index.html

:wave:

• Members

This thread has gone all over the place. I think because you must be the only guy around here with 8 grand.

I personally think it's a pretty good idea. But; an 8K vintage guitar would make more sense to me. Believe it or not all rosewood gits where brazilian before about 1968. Your custom order might include an ebony fretboard which won't be on (say) a 1965 000-28. But the older guitar will be brazilian. Why don't you scout around and see what you can scare up in a late '50s or early '60s Martin 000 then just tell her you traded straight across for the Epi?

Here's a 1959 000-28 employee model with lot's of bling. I think it's pretty bitchin personally and they're asking $8.5k. You could for sure wrestle them down a little. It's at http://www.vintage-instruments.com

27108z.jpg

• Members

Much of Martin's remaining Braz is going into D-28 Authentic production and most of that is slab sawn stumpwood, not the straight grained stuff.

Save yourself a bundle and buy a stock OM42; a far superior guitar to the OOO in my opinion and it's unlikely you'll hear much difference to the Brazilian rosewood.

Besides, the chances are that you'll get to play a couple of OM42's before deciding on the one you like.

What's the guarantee that an unseen, unplayed custom order will be exactly what you want?

Do you want to take a $*** chance?

• Members

Save yourself a bundle and buy a stock OM42; a far superior guitar to the OOO in my opinion

Or a SCGC, Bourgeois, Collings....

I wouldn't dream of ordering a custom guitar until I'd played long enough, and played enough guitars that I'd know I'd like what I got. Do you have any concept of what you want for a neck width, or profile, or fingerboard radius? Do you want a 12 fret, or 14 fret, slotted headstock, or solid, pickguard or no pickguard? What fretwire do you want? Scalloped or non-scalloped? Adirondak, Sitka, or Englemann? What kind of neck joint do you want?

If you're ready to dump $4-8K on a guitar, you should be damn sure you know exactly what you want.

• Members

Heres a realistic huge step up from your Epi that is very much in your price range and style of guitar, and totally one of a kind (#4of8 guitars made for 2007 NAMM,although none of them are the same body type or woods) if your interested. I called on it, and the price is $3600. Very, very nice looking guitar(although everyone has there own opinion)and just by reputation alone, has to sound killer. Plus workmanship is impeccable inside and out.

So if your interested here it is

http://www.boutiqueguitarexchange.com/guitars/?bio=54?=1&detail=500

Its also listed on the Bourgeois website(with great pics) by clicking the next link/clicking on the "for sale" on the left hand side, then looking under the first picture were it says" CLICK HERE TO SEE PICTURES OF FINISHED NAMM GUITARS (FEB 14)" Fourth guitar down. Adirondack/Pao Rosewood.

http://www.pantheonguitars.com/

Everyone has there opinions, but the body styleflashplayability and sound is all there with this one(if you like its appearance that is), and there specked after 30's era Martin OM's(so they sound just like Martins(if not better), and theres not another one like it anywhere.:thu:

• Members

I'm planning on ordering one in two months or so, I'm going to do as much research as I can. Stumpwood is a major concern of mine! I really love the clapton model and the regular 000-28, I just really want the "style 45" logo and a thinner moddified v neck.

I really want to keep it exactly the same as the 000-42, except for the neck and back and side wood. I'm also thinking of getting some of their old ivory on the bridge and nut, if they have any left.

Martin_D45GE_836814_headstock_front.jpg

• Members

I'm with you part way Andrew, and I know you said opinion, but fill this comment out a little if you can.

Dan, I'm basing this on a comparison between a truly dreadful OOO28EC I once owned, a OOO18 I played in a shop and the longer scale OM of which I have owned a 42, 28V and a 21.

I believe the longer scale makes a big difference; the tone is more 'forward' and punchy, sustain is better and volume seems greater.

To my ears the OM is much more alive than it's shorter scale cousin. As a matter of interest I much preferred the 21 over the other two; it was more lightly built and had a real delicacy of tone.

Maybe I just don't 'get' the sound of the OOO but to me they just sound dull and lifeless.

• Members

This thread has gone all over the place. I think because you must be the only guy around here with 8 grand.

I personally think it's a pretty good idea. But; an 8K vintage guitar would make more sense to me. Believe it or not all rosewood gits where brazilian before about 1968. Your custom order might include an ebony fretboard which won't be on (say) a 1965 000-28. But the older guitar will be brazilian. Why don't you scout around and see what you can scare up in a late '50s or early '60s Martin 000 then just tell her you traded straight across for the Epi?

Here's a 1959 000-28 employee model with lot's of bling. I think it's pretty bitchin personally and they're asking $8.5k. You could for sure wrestle them down a little. It's at
http://www.vintage-instruments.com

27108z.jpg

Nice looking guitar, other than that P/G...pity it's not a nice looking "tortoiseshell"...

• Members
Dan, I'm basing this on a comparison between a truly dreadful OOO28EC I once owned, a OOO18 I played in a shop and the longer scale OM of which I have owned a 42, 28V and a 21.

I believe the longer scale makes a big difference; the tone is more 'forward' and punchy, sustain is better and volume seems greater.

To my ears the OM is much more alive than it's shorter scale cousin. As a matter of interest I much preferred the 21 over the other two; it was more lightly built and had a real delicacy of tone.

Maybe I just don't 'get' the sound of the OOO but to me they just sound dull and lifeless.

Ok, fair enough. The one EC I've played I liked very much and the 000-18 I played was a thousand years ago. I liked it very much at that time. Here in the great SF Bay area I can't find enough Martins in one place to make a meaningful comparison, except GC and I hate that place. There ain't one 000-18GE in the area for instance. Lots of OMs though.

Archived