This maybe of some interest: Fado Music

T.B.

• Members

It's actually a
, 12-string!

Wow! I didn't get a chance to read the article/paper until this evening. In Latin America the Portuguese 12 string guitar has Darwin-zed into 4, 8, 10 string Mandolins -- sometimes called the Bandola in Brazil -- varying in shapes and in scales. The African Banjo is another perfect example of how culture/people and geography transformed that instrument. I'm fascinated by this type of stuff.

Trina

• Members

Fado
is Portuguese blues, in the same spirit that
flamenco
is Spanish gypsy blues, and well-worth listening to!

I'm with Pascal, if Fado music can't move you, you're either comatose or brain dead. Brazilian folk music/musicians can be found singing/playing on You-tube. You can hear the Fado influences, as you can in the different styles of Brazilian music.

Trina

• Members
In Latin America the Portuguese 12 string guitar has Darwin-zed into 4, 8, 10 string Mandolins -- sometimes called the Bandola in Brazil -- varying in shapes and in scales.

Haven't heard of the bandola, but I've heard tons of choro with the bandolim.

Here's a random choro

In the slower choro pieces, you can hear the fado influence. When the tempo kicks up, it's sounds really invigorating.

For more choro, I really dig this compilation Cafe Brasil.

And, by the way, choro also features the cavaquinho (ukulele) and the 7-string guitar--and you'll often hear a clarinet.

Whoa, overload. When the weather gets warmer, I start playing much more Brazilian music. :cool::blah:

• Members

I really like Branco's "Ai Vida."

A beautiful song, among my favourites. It doesn't feature a Portuguese guitar, but Jorge Fernando's spanish/classical/gut strung/whatever guitar makes up for it. :)

In fact, the entire album that song was originally released on (Branco's 'Post Scriptum') is very good.

• Members
I love fado (and Port
;)
) I would really like to get my hands on a Portuguese guitar.

It was a 1999 vintage.
Nice... :)

That's one of the problem with GAS: As if there weren't enough guitars to buy, GAS tends to rapidly extend to ouds, buzuqs, saz, portuguese guitars, etc... :(

Oh, and for whoever may be interested, I'll add my voice to the choir of recommendations for Cristina Branco's "Post Scriptum".
It is a lovely record.

• Members

Checkout Joao Batista site. I visited Batista guitar shop a couple of years ago in Sao Paulo Brazil, the
Grenada Spain
of guitar building. Check out the variations of the
"Mandolin"
and the Banjo. Batista had guitar in his shop with 14/17 strings!

Trina

I'd like to, but I think that this:

Voc

• Members

Just checked out your You-tube videos, serious Flamenco chops. MollDur, I was very impressed with your work in progress "Tremolo Melody". I viewed some of your favorites and came upon Feliciano aka jsome1 playing the Portuguese guitar, 12-string! I'll check back to see how your song "Tremolo" is progressing. Cheers. :)

Trina

• Members
Anyone who isn't moved at all by Fado music would hardly deserve to be called human, IMO.

I've seen the Fado artists 'Marisa' a few times and I was blown away...BLOWN away... She is the most expressive singer i've ever seen. If she comes through your town you MUST go see her. You'll be blown away too. The guitar work of the supporting musicians are also worth checking out....

• Members

Um, what to say? It has been a couple years, after all.

Well, the most interesting thing was the tuners on these guitars. More like the the Steinberger bass tuners, a straight screw with the string attached to a travelling nut. Much different than the usual worm-gear tuner we're all accustomed to. Fancy inlays, of course. The singer (Christina) was fairly young, the players were all older guys and really good.

• Members

Um, what to say? It has been a couple years, after all.

Well, the most interesting thing was the tuners on these guitars. More like the the Steinberger bass tuners, a straight screw with the string attached to a travelling nut. Much different than the usual worm-gear tuner we're all accustomed to. Fancy inlays, of course. The singer (Christina) was fairly young, the players were all older guys and really good.

Thanks!

Archived