This maybe of some interest: Fado Music

T.B.

• Members

Um, what to say? It has been a couple years, after all.

Well, the most interesting thing was the tuners on these guitars. More like the the Steinberger bass tuners, a straight screw with the string attached to a travelling nut. Much different than the usual worm-gear tuner we're all accustomed to. Fancy inlays, of course. The singer (Christina) was fairly young, the players were all older guys and really good.

Then you've probably met Custodio Castelo as well?

custodio.png

I love his playing. He's also composed most of Cristina Branco's tunes.

• Members
I've seen the Fado artists 'Marisa' a few times and I was blown away...BLOWN away... She is the most expressive singer i've ever seen. If she comes through your town you MUST go see her. You'll be blown away too. The guitar work of the supporting musicians are also worth checking out....

Good call. :thu:
I saw Mariza a few times on the telly and was blown away too. I'm not familiar with her records, though.

Here are two random vids:

video clip: O Gente do Minha Terra
Live, without microphone/amplification: Povo que lavas No Rio.

... damn... I think she just tore my heart. :(

• Members

Great clips. :)

It just struck me that she looks a lot like a girl I know. Except for the hair. :o

Great looking instruments. The sound clips were cool. The classcial piece sounded a bit out of place, don't you think? Wasn't it was the only nylon-string instrument?

I think he did that because he knew I was going to post that site on a guitar board. :D

With guys like that in today's somewhat guitar-centred musical environment, I can't help but feel he started out on guitar and branched out. I get the same feeling with these guys.

• Members
Really? I've been jonesin' for a trip to NL. Stroopwaffels, bicycles, fries with mayo and spice, cool people.
:thu:
Although the areas called free recreation (?), weren't as exciting as I thought they'd be.

Ah, you've been to Holland? Cool. :cool:
The girl isn't Dutch though, don't expect the country to be populated by fado divas next time you might be here. :D

Actually, I saw a bit of film the other day, Mon Ange. Looks like it was shot in NL. Beautiful country.
:love:

We have some nice sights to see. :)
If there weren't any mountains, it was probably shot here. :D

I recall you went to their show?

Indeed I did, and started a thread about it. It didn't live for very long. :o

• Members
Really? I've been jonesin' for a trip to NL. Stroopwaffels, bicycles, fries with mayo and spice, cool people.
:thu:
Actually, I saw a bit of film the other day, Mon Ange. Looks like it was shot in NL. Beautiful country.
:love:

I agree. I visited Amsterdam NL. last spring for the first time, I gotta get back. :)

Trina

Archived