An Ephiphone, the best SOUNDing guitar I ever played

LiveMusic

• Members

A friend has an Epiphone 185 CE VS. C for cutaway, E for electric. I dunno what the V and S mean. Wow, I shouldn't have played this guitar. Oh, my. It is THE best sounding guitar I've ever heard. It rings so purty. Just oustanding tone. They playability was pretty good, not the best ever but not bad at all. The finish and workmanship is very high. The tuners turn oh so easily. I think it was walnut side and back? Top is sunburst, I guess it's spruce.

I search online and fine very little info. He says he bought it new about three years ago; seems there would be more info. If these are not available anymore, do you find other epi's exceptional?

• Members

AFAIK it's not a current model and not one I'm familiar with. I wonder if it might be an Epiphone version of the Gibson J-185 with a cutaway and electronics http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-J185-Historic-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=517100&src=3SOSWXXA. Check out the AJ200SCE http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-AJ200SCE-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=518367 and let us know if it's similar. Be forewarned that it's only available in a natural finish.

• Members

AFAIK it's not a current model and not one I'm familiar with. I wonder if it might be an Epiphone version of the Gibson J-185 with a cutaway and electronics
. Check out the AJ200SCE
and let us know if it's similar. Be forewarned that it's only available in a natural finish.

It's shaped more like the second one except it is a cutaway.

Saw it last night. It has "2d" stamped very faintly into the wood on the headstock. I suppose that means "second?" If so, it makes sense, as this guitar has a major flaw in the pickup. The b string is way louder than the others. Anyone know if that is an easy fix?

My friend told me it was a $1500 guitar when they first came out. I don't know what he meant by that comment. As if they dropped in price? That doesn't make sense. Anyway, he paid $369. Who knows, he might have seen retail price. Still, that would mean a street price of what, $900?

This guitar has something else I am not familiar with. It has two jacks. One is 1/4" and the other is xlr.

It has gold tuners. It's very attactive. I also note that the tuners turn very easily.

It also says "Gibson" on the headstock. Epiphone at top, Gibson at bottom of headstock.

• Members

My freind has one of those...the same as your description...I will ask him how old it is/where he got it etc and post what he says.

It has the xlr and jack outputs and sounds great plugged in....unplugged his is,to me, a little lacking in bass compared to my boxes.

Archived