Neck reset

I was The Funk

• Members

I need to get the neck reset on my 1964 gretch grand concert sized guitar. I'd like a refret, new nut and new saddle as well (its not a collectible guitar but I want it to play well).

How much can I expect to pay for this and does anyone know a good guy in the Boston area to do it?

• Members

I forget the guys name but he's one of the best in MA. In Cambridge there's a Music Store across from Porter Square Train station. I think it's simply called Cambridge Music. Above the shop there's a guy who very good at what he does . And he does it for relatively cheap too. Only problem I've ever run into with him is supply and demand. There's one of him and lots of people who own lots of guitars that they rather wait for him to fix then leave to someone else. Sometimes it's over a month turnaround time.

• Members

I had similar work done recently. I had a reset, new frets, new nut, new bridge, bridge plate repair.

I took it to Bill Tippin in marblehead, he a builder of very nice customs. I am very satisfied but it was not cheap or quick. The bill came to over $1k, but it is now a better guitar than it even was new.

BTW - the guy in Cambridge is Jim Mouradian (sp?). I have had work done by him, and he IS excellent. He fixed a setup issue on a strat of mine that others had tried and failed to address. I think he does more electric/setup work than major acoustic surgury.

• Members

I had similar work done recently. I had a reset, new frets, new nut, new bridge, bridge plate repair.

I took it to Bill Tippin in marblehead, he a builder of very nice customs. I am very satisfied but it was not cheap or quick. The bill came to over $1k, but it is now a better guitar than it even was new.

BTW - the guy in Cambridge is Jim Mouradian (sp?). I have had work done by him, and he IS excellent. He fixed a setup issue on a strat of mine that others had tried and failed to address. I think he does more electric/setup work than major acoustic surgury.

That is the guy. I had him do some setups for acoustics but from what I saw he does do more electric work. He's also more then fair on price. I totally hosed my intonation of my jazzmaster trying to lower the action myself. I brought it in and told him I needed it for a show tonight and just needed the intonation fixed. He sighed at me grabbed the guitar worked his magic in 10 minutes dropped the action and fixed the intonation then charged me 10 bucks and gave me a firm warning about messing with things I don't understand!

Archived