Blend pot, how to.

tonequester

• Members

Greetings, tonequester here ,needing help(once again).

I have posted this topic on 2 guitar forums, and have had zero input. I'll try it here before giving up. I actually found the device I would like to make for sale, and should have bought it then, as I lost the web site and company name info. 

I would like to use a blender(?) pot(balance/pan ?) to pan from capacitor to inductor. No switch, no center detent off position. I had thought of using a 500kOhm pot, and there are lots around from $6.95 to $18.95. However, I don't know how to hook up such a beast. The device I saw for sale(at $46.95) had the cap and inductor right on the pot, and it sounded like it was a simple,input/output connection.. It used a Sprague Orange Drop cap(no big deal to my ears). If anybody could advise me on how to hook up such a device, in any way, I would sure appreciate it. I plan to replace a simple tone control on a guitar with this, mostly as an educational experiment, and for hands on experiencs.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can reply !    tonequester.

• Moderators

I don't think I understand exactly what you want to do. Is the idea to replace the cap in the tone circuit of a guitar with this circuit, such that you can have (essentially) just the cap in the tone circuit at one extreme, just the inductor in the tone circuit at the other extreme, and varying amounts of each in between?

• Members

500 k-ohm potentiometer. I'd recommend a linear pot, but audio taper will also work. Center terminal connected to the 'hot' of the output jack. One outer terminal to a capacitor, with the other terminal of the capacitor connected to ground. Other outer terminal connected to an inductor, and the other terminal on the inductor also tied to ground. This device will reduce the guitar's output noticeably, so I don't know why anyone would want to install one. 

You should do some research on Gibson's "vari-tone" circuit and the "tone styler", both are passive tone controls that use inductors. 

• Members

Greetings isaac42.

tonequester here. Thanks for the reply ! Yes, what you described(evidently better than I did) is exactly what I'd like to do. This is what the device that I ran across on an unrelated Internet search claimed to do. The inductor and an Orange Drop cap were secured to the pan pot, or whatever it is properly called. I lost the website and company name, and have been unable to locate the site, or rem,ember the company name. If I had the info, I'd just probably give them the 46 some odd dollars for it. However, it wouldn't be hard to build if I knew how to put the components together.

Thanks again for your reply. tonequester.

Archived