A 1919 Gibson, value?

astroturf

• Members

I had a friend roofing his house and found this guitar in his attic (lucky bastard). Anyway, we were wondering what it might be worth. We think this is a 1919 gibson acoustic.

We believe the serial/fond number is 49849 and the inside label says it is Style #13. A few pieces on the guitar say things like patented Feb. 1898, etc. Here are the pictures.

It has a few scratches that look like somebody tried scratching a star but I don't think they make it through the finish to the wood. I'll have to check next time I am over there.

• Members

It's definately a L series gibby, I have the Vintage buyers guide, but it's from 05.

You can call customer service at gibson at 1800-4 GIBSON and get the exact year. The L's can in both round hole and oval hole style and the buyers guide says it may be worth somewhere between 2000-2200 bucks, I believe the model is a L-4 to be more exact. Cool little guitar, play it in god health. It will cover much Robert Johnson territory

• Members

I have a friend who had one of the L series but I don't know if it was this exact model or not. This one looks to be in better shape than his was, though. They're really a fun little guitar to play with a unique but cool tone. I wish I could find cool stuff like that.

• Members

Their are scatch covering touch up stuff that luthiers can apply - Id be super careful with that , if you even touch the finish with anything that could hurt it , it will drop the guitars value down to less than half- By the way , that is a very beautiful instrument - Thats what i consider a keeper.

Archived