Enough about brands/tonewoods... what about technique?

kwakatak

• Members

This summer I bought a Sony Cybershot for about $350 at Walmart. Decent enough with adequate sound. I'll do a youtube acoustic video. If anyone likes it or is interested, I can answer questions.

Hmmm, probably HCAG folks would be about the only ones watching (unless someone else was searching for that particular song and checked it out.)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FWIW, I'm working on uploading some test AVI's taken from my Canon A520 camera. Putfile has raised the file size limit for AVI format to 200Mb. The videos are converted to Flash video format (FLV) and they aren't available for viewing until they've done the conversion behind the scenes

As for general A/V quality, I'd say that it's OK but certainly not the best by any stretch. You can hear the guitar pretty clear but there's lot of ambient pickup. I chose a medium shot so you can't quite make out the precise details regarding finger position or hand movement technique.

Post it here when it's ready. I think this is a great new direction for the forum.

• Members

another fine job, Kwak. You could certainly slow it down a bit. I always liked the "lumbering" quality of this tune, so don't rush this one.

I would recommend accenting that thumb more, especially on the turn-arounds where it walks down the fretboard, and really getting on it. Think of yourself as the bass player when you hit those notes. Like Tommy says, "I want to introduce you to the band now..."

Nice body-slap at the end.

I always enjoy your playing, Kwak.

• Members

Thanks, Queequeg. I appreciate the critique. My tempo always seems to speed up when I have it in my head that this one's getting recorded. It's like: don't screw up now, but if you do try and put it behind you as quickly as possible! :)

I don't presume that I have anything to teach anybody other than just sit down and play. Don't sweat the small stuff, keep the ball rolling sort of thing. I hear people asking all the time: what's the best way to learn, how can I best learn this theory or that theory, how much time a day should I practice, etc. etc. I say, just shaddup and enjoy yourself. As long as you love doing it you'll do fine - especially if you're only doing it for personal enjoyment.

That's all I do it for anyway. By locking my wandering mind into a rhythm or a melody I kind of step outside of the day's troubles for just a bit. Ain't that why they call it a "diversion?" ;)

BTW, the file size is still way too big for the quality IMO. I have to dig up the CD that came with the camera. Maybe there's some utility that converts AVI to MPG.

Archived