Anyone try Clayton Ultem picks?

EvilTwin

• Members

http://www.steveclayton.com/ultem.html

I picked up some Dunlop Ultex picks, but can't get used to the edges being so sharp. So I thought I'd pick some of these up as an alternative. I was running out of time on my lunch break and didn't get to try 'em out. Unlike the Dunlops, they're marketed as being close to "sounding like tortoise shell." Anyone else try 'em out?

• Members

I have both the Clayton and the Dunlop--prefer the Clayton for the same reason stated above. They are a bit rough on the edges. I don't use them all the time, but when looking for certain tone with a particular guitar/string/style combination (my pick collection is more ridiculous than my guitar collection).

• Members

I have a bunch of both the Claytons (Ultex) and Dunlops (Ultem). As has pointed out, the Claytons have a rougher bevel - they feel like they've been die-cut, whereas the the Dunlops feel more like a celluloid pick as far as the edges. The Claytons are slightly larger than the Dunlops: for some reason all Clayton 351-shape picks are like that. You can get the Claytons in a heavier gauge than the Dunlops, which top out at 1.14mm.

What I find really cool are the new Dunlop Ultem Jazz III's. They exactly like the the standard nylon Jazz III's - raised imprint and all - but have a brighter sound.

• Members

I have both the Clayton and the Dunlop--prefer the Clayton for the same reason stated above. They are a bit rough on the edges. I don't use them all the time, but when looking for certain tone with a particular guitar/string/style combination (my pick collection is more ridiculous than my guitar collection).

You oughta see MY pick collection! :D

I like the Ultem/Ultex picks when I want a bright sound on acoustic, especially for strummed songs.

• Members

You oughta see MY pick collection!
:D

I like the Ultem/Ultex picks when I want a bright sound on acoustic, especially for strummed songs.

I tend to rotate among Dava Grip Tip picks (softer tone and very grippy), ICE Picks with the little suctiony pad (kinda like celluloid in various gauges), Clayton Cork Grip picks in a heavy gauge (kinda like a standard Fender) and Ibanez Picks with little rubberized bumps (also a softer tone--smaller size). They all provide excellent grip which is my first priority.

• Members

I tend to rotate among Dava Grip Tip picks (softer tone and very grippy), ICE Picks with the little suctiony pad (kinda like celluloid in various gauges), Clayton Cork Grip picks in a heavy gauge (kinda like a standard Fender) and Ibanez Picks with little rubberized bumps (also a softer tone--smaller size). They all provide excellent grip which is my first priority.

I hear you. Grip is EXACTLY why I've experimented with so many picks over the years. I have all the Dava models; I like the Delrin one with the rubber sleeve the best, but ultimately, they're too thin/soft for me. I've never tried the ICE picks, though I've seen them advertised; I've never been sure if the suction thing was for improving their grip, or for sticking them to your guitar. I've got the Ibanez Sand picks in the jazz size - they're not bad. I tried the Clayton Cork Grips when they first came out, but the ones I got had the cork circles just slapped on - they were all over the place, and I'm not much of a fan of celluloid these days, though I played with a celluloid Fender heavy for a long time - for years actually.

For the last year or so I've mainly been using a Fred Kelly Babyfat pick. They're about the size of a Jazz III, but slightly less triangular. They're about 2mm thick, which is perfect for me, and they have a molded-in grid to them that makes them really grippy. They come in both Delrin and Lexan, and I use both.

• Members

I like Snarling Dogs Brain Picks. Best grip there is IMO. They're nothing like celluloid though. Someone else just made an exact copy. I mean exact, like they pressed the Brain Picks into a mold, but they replaced the word Brain with a C.

I bought a bunch of those about seven or eight years ago when Snarling Dogs was an independent company. I have them in 1mm, 1.3mm and 1.5mm (they've changed the colors since I got mine I think, 1mm = grey, 1.3mm = blue, and 1.5mm = bluish-green). They're nylon (at least mine are), and at first I thought they were the panacea for all my pick grip problems. Unfortunately, for me they're so grippy that I can't slide and shift the pick around the way I like to when I'm going from single notes to strumming and so on. They lock in as if they were super-glued!

• Members

I bought a bunch of those about seven or eight years ago when Snarling Dogs was an independent company. I have them in 1mm, 1.3mm and 1.5mm (they've changed the colors since I got mine I think, 1mm = grey, 1.3mm = blue, and 1.5mm = bluish-green). They're nylon (at least mine are), and at first I thought they were the panacea for all my pick grip problems. Unfortunately, for me they're so grippy that I can't slide and shift the pick around the way I like to when I'm going from single notes to strumming and so on. They lock in as if they were super-glued!

That's what I meant when I said, "Best grip there is IMO" I'm not saying it's the best pick there is (although it is my favorite), but you can't deny the grip! I use a light pick, and I like the fact that these thing are unbreakable. I lose them long before I wear them out. I used to use Fender thin celluloid, and constantly broke them.

Scott O

• Members

http://www.steveclayton.com/ultem.html

I picked up some Dunlop Ultex picks, but can't get used to the edges being so sharp. So I thought I'd pick some of these up as an alternative. I was running out of time on my lunch break and didn't get to try 'em out. Unlike the Dunlops, they're marketed as being close to "sounding like tortoise shell." Anyone else try 'em out?

Bought a gross of the .80 rounded triangle ones.

The only pick I'll use... :thu:

• Members

That's what I meant when I said, "Best grip there is IMO" I'm not saying it's the best pick there is (although it is my favorite), but you can't deny the grip! I use a light pick, and I like the fact that these thing are unbreakable. I lose them long before I wear them out. I used to use Fender thin celluloid, and constantly broke them.

Scott O

I love the sound of thicker nylon picks, so I bought the Brains thinking they'd be tone and grip nirvana. Love the tone. Never thought anything could be that grippy. I don't know if you've ever tried that Gorilla Snot stuff. I think its tree sap or something, 'cuz it feels the same as when grab hold of the trunk of a fresh Christmas tree to carry it in, and then spend the next 20 minutes with a can of turpentine trying to get the goo off your hands. Gorilla Snot has nothing on the Brain Pick. ;)

Archived