Duets for Git and Uke?

jephre

• Members

Hi all...

So, my wife and I sat down to play some tunes together-- she's a novice on ukelele, but we were able to get through a couple of songs sort of nicely. We used "Songbird" (inspired by Willie's recent cover) and a hilarious version of "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley.

I thought I'd toss it out there to everyone and see if y'all had any ideas as well? Our tastes are pretty eclectic (for example, I'm Jewish but love to play "Family Bible"), so out of the box thinking is encouraged.

ALSO: If I wanted to capo up on my guitar... is there a fret I could use to play the same chords as she does (i know that's a really weird way of asking a basic music theory question).

Sound off!

jeffrey

• Members

Well, I know the fingering for the G chord on guitar is C on the uke, so capoing on the 5th fret on the guitar, and playing G when your wife plays a C on her uke, you'll both be in C, plus, I think the guitar sounds good with the uke capoed at the 5th fret.

As for what songs to play as a duet, I have no idea. I just play chords along with the guitar during singing. I just like the way it sounds.

Dan

• Members

Well, I know the fingering for the G chord on guitar is C on the uke, so capoing on the 5th fret on the guitar, and playing G when your wife plays a C on her uke, you'll both be in C, plus, I think the guitar sounds good with the uke capoed at the 5th fret.

Thanks Dan-- and you like capoing the uke itself at the 5th??

• Members

Yeah, it's a capo on the fifth fret. If you want to be exactly like the uke, capo on the 5th fret, yank off the 2 lowest strings, and crank the D string (now a G string) up an octave.

After I got my uke I learned Tiptoe Through the Tulilps. It took youtube to remind me exactly what Tiny Tim was like. It was interesting explaining those times to my kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skU-jBFzXl0

I think that Somewhere Over the Rainbow is very nice on uke.

Scott O

• Members

Thanks Dan-- and you like capoing the uke itself at the 5th??

Nope, I leave the uke alone. I just have make a photo copy of the uke chords, and white them out, writing in the guitar chords as if I wasn't capoed, and play away. The uke just sounds kind of weird to me with the guitar if I don't capo the guitar.

Dan

Archived