Epiphone Masterbuilt

Amanda-Jane

• Members

Are there options of these for Lefty's?

I have a friend looking for a new guitar, and I mentioned that the forum has mentioned Epiphone Masterbuilts..

She seems to like these guitars, (from looking online) But don't know if they have guitars for lefties..

Or maybe you know a nice lefty guitar.

Currently she has a Martin.. 3/4 size, not wood.. satin black finish. I don't know what the model is. Anyway she isn't happy with it, and looking for something better. She is a victim of walking into a store saying I hear Martin is the best, I have $750 show me my guitar- instead of trying them out. It was ordered at the store without ever seeing it.

So... She probably is looking at the $750-$1000

Playing for 30 years and a strummer- newly interested in learning some lead guitar parts- some finger picking..

Your thoughts?

• Members

Above $700 and Epiphone Masterbilt is not the first brand I look at. While there are certainly some guitars in that price range which are inferior to the Masterbilts, there are many that have better overall quality and construction. Larrivee comes to mind.

The issue is that she needs a lefty. Larrivee makes lefties, I believe. Here's a lefty D-03RE on Elderly: http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/names/larrivee-d-03re-left-handed-with-case--D03RLE.htm She might have to look for a used one to stay in her price range more comfortably.

Also, Taylor makes lefties so maybe she should try out a 2xx? 210 if she's primarily a strummer, though I've seen people strum on the x14 style and its fine.

Ellen

• Members

I know I sound like an broken record, but my recommendation is the Larrivee L-03. Any of the online dealers (Notable Guitars, Guitar Adoptions, Trinity Guitars) would take care of her but there's usually a little bit of a wait when ordering a left-handed model, which is a little irksome since Larrivees are symmetrically braced so the only difference between a LH and RH model is the bridge.

As for trying one out, it depends on whether you can find a dealer that so happens to have a left-handed version. That's tough for any brand, but may particularly be so for Larrivee.

• Members

Currently she has a Martin.. 3/4 size, not wood.. satin black finish. I don't know what the model is. Anyway she isn't happy with it, and looking for something better. She is a victim of walking into a store saying I hear Martin is the best, I have $750 show me my guitar- instead of trying them out. It was ordered at the store without ever seeing it.

Hi Amanda-Jane

You know what I'm going to say - tell her to go to a music shop and spend a few hours playing different guitars then choose the one she likes best. Might be harder finding several LH models but worth it in the end - if you are spending $750 -

• Members

Larrivee's 03 series, Taylor's DN3, GA3 and GC3 and Martin's 15 series are available in that price range.
IMHO, Guild GAD, Epiphone Masterbilt, Crafter etc are great and all, but US guitars from the big companies just have a little extra something.

Archived