OT: multitrack acoustic/vox recording question

kwakatak

• Members

Thanks in part to Freeman and Krash I've been getting into home recording a bit more and have been trying something different. Before I used to just record single tracks in Audacity with a single microphone. Now I'm trying to lay down and mix multiple tracks using Reaper.

So far the quality is better but the procedure is so different that I literally don't know where to begin. I mean, what should I record first? What should I record last? I recall JasmineTea once saying that it's best to lay down a rough track and build on that.

I did just that by recording a guitar/vocal track in Audacity using a single mic. The benefits for this method are that I feel more of a "connection" between the two parts by playing them at the same time. I then did some editing/filtering before flattening everything down and exporting to MP3.

31700263715.jpg

Then I imported that MP3 track into Reaper to use as the base track and set it to play as I laid a full-length acoustic track against it. Then I muted that base track and laid down another vocal track while the new acoustic guitar track played.

At this point I got a little giddy and decided that maybe some additional guitar tracks might help it out a little bit. The problem was that the vocals didn't seem to have the same amount of "feeling" and the whole thing sounded a bit disingenuous. Should I have waited until last to lay down the track? I don't think I'd have a problem recording it over if the "magic" isn't there after all the other tracks are laid down.

31700142913.jpg

DISCLAIMER: This topic may seem to be better-served by posting in the recording forum but as many here well know, each individual HC subforum is its own community. Few cross over on a regular basis and I really wanted the input from other folks who are currently contributing to the HCAG Annex.

BTW - I also have a working recording that I'm using as an exercise. I'm refraining from sharing it because it's a cover song and it is a work in progress so it sounds like poo to my ears so I'm not willing to share on those two accounts.

• Members

Okay you asked a lot of questions but here's what I'd do from first to last:

Record a not-rough guitar track.

Record a not-rough vox track.

Record little noodly things and atmostpheric guitar-y things as necessary, but sparingly.

The reason being that I hate rough tracks. Lots of people find it easier to record with them (JT I guess is one of them), but mostly it just messes me up. I'd rather do the parts separate from the get-go. And plus then I don't get all depressed if I play really awesomely on a rough track that I can't really hang on to.

Ellen

• Members

Okay you asked a lot of questions but here's what I'd do from first to last:

Record a not-rough guitar track.

Record a not-rough vox track.

Record little noodly things and atmostpheric guitar-y things as necessary, but sparingly.

The reason being that I hate rough tracks. Lots of people find it easier to record with them (JT I guess is one of them), but mostly it just messes me up. I'd rather do the parts separate from the get-go. And plus then I don't get all depressed if I play really awesomely on a rough track that I can't really hang on to.

Ellen

That's pretty much my M.O., too...I record the vocals/rhythm guitar/racked harp to a click track (Alesis SR-16, usually), then add bass, then lead/color instrument(s), then vocal harmony, then I erase the click track and add my own percussion (my "weakest link" :eek: )...

My preference is to get a decent rhythm section in to do the bass and percussion simultaneously to the rhythm guitar/vox/racked harp, though...

• Members

Thanks, Ellen and TAH,

I can see the benefit of recording the guitar first but for the life of me I cannot play against a click track, so it pretty much has to be full-length. If it "becomes" a rough track, then so be it but yeah I usually record with the intention that "this is for the money."

I also see the reason to drop the rough tracks as it usually does not allow for lead-in time in the beginning. I usually need a couple of seconds after clicking the mouse to pick up the pick and find the tempo, etc.

• Members

Thanks, Ellen and TAH,

I can see the benefit of recording the guitar first but for the life of me I cannot play against a click track, so it pretty much has to be full-length. If it "becomes" a rough track, then so be it but yeah I usually record with the intention that "this is for the money."

I also see the reason to drop the rough tracks as it usually does not allow for lead-in time in the beginning. I usually need a couple of seconds after clicking the mouse to pick up the pick and find the tempo, etc.

Depending on the tempo of a song I get all messed up with a click track. Instead I use a simple drum track. Just a straight 4/4 rock style deal dialed to the right tempo. I use a freeware program (forget the name offhand). The drum track sounds horrible but keeps me on time and doesn't mess with my like the click track does.

I'll then Layer as need on guitar. Keep in mind that I personally don't use the computer for this. I've never had much luck with syncing the timing in those programs. The vocals always sound a half of second late. I use a Tascam Digital 8 Track.

The whole "getting feeling" into your vocals I can't help you with. I'm a horrible singer and usually have my very lazy friend sing for me. It takes a while to get him warmed up and sometimes I have to get him really pissed off before he puts and "ummmf" behind it. Luckily getting him really pissed off is a talent I am particularly good at.

In the odd event that I actually try to sing on a track. (Alone.. With the blinds shut.. and signs on the door warning people to stay out for either own audio protection.) I go over it many many times punching in and out with a footswitch I have until I get the best possible sucky vocal track I can provide.

The thing with punching in vocals is, you either have to do it all at once or make sure you do not disturb the recording enviroment at all. Moving the mic 2 feet could make the punch in's sound like a ducted taped hack job. I am assuming this would be easier on a computer since they likely have some type of memory function to remember where the faders were. In the end just experiement with it. Recording is a ton of fun and a great way to stay motivated.

• Members

Since I do everything myself, I record everything separately - usually the "starring" rhythm instrument first (usually acoustic guitar, but sometimes, say, piano), then a bass part, then drums, then sweetener instruments (guitar and keyboards), lead vocal, backup vocals, lead instrument (guitar usually).

Sometimes, though, I do the drums first. I find playing to a click or a rhythm track makes me able to establish a groove, which makes it easier to add things to, at least for me. And since at least sometimes my drum parts are sequenced, it's a million times easier to sequence something that's got consistent time than it is something that's free.

There's really no right or wrong with this - is just what seems to work best for you and helps you capture what you want to express.

I love recording, I must say. :)

• Members

I have a real tough time keeping the feeling when I record separately so I normally record guitar and vocals at the same time but to separate tracks. I usually don't worry about a click track because that seems to kill the emotion as well and I don't have too much trouble keeping in time. Sometimes there is a bit of bleed from tracks but it usually doesn't hurt anything. I have also used homemade baffles between my guitar and vocal mic, but it usually isn't necessary. The only down side is you have to be perfect on both the guitar and vocals or do it over.

Archived