Black Friday..........

spruce goose

• Members

Any ideas?

The 57 reissue strat used to be 1k at guitar center (just a few days ago, but I can't seem to find any info on 'em now). Anyway, GC have a 20% off sale from 8 to 10 (AM) on Friday. That means 800 bucks plus tax for this git (if they have it in stock..).

Personally, I usually buy used gear, but a 57 RI for 0.8 and tax looks like a pretty neat deal. Problem is, I have 3 strats at the moment. Of course, I could sell my two mexican strats (probably for more than what I payed for) :idea: if I was so inclined......

Anyway, any other plans for BF?

• Members

Anyway, any other plans for BF?

My wife used to drag me out on Black Friday for Christmas shopping (I really dislike traffic and crowds, so this was torture). Now that we've got a little one, I get a reprieve. She drags her mom out shopping, and I stay home with our daughter. :thu:

-Andy

• Members

i sleep in or just go to work....

it seems that retails is in a bad spot with the sub prime and all- meh- politics be gone from here- 8^)

i am handmaking everything this year- not sure what it is yet- but i am gonna make it! maybe even finishe my 5 string aluminum parlor- i hope!

• Members

We head down to Delaware and visit family. Black Friday all the ladies head to the outlets - the boys head out to the beach. There is this cape that juts out into the Delaware bay and we walk the point for stuff that washes up. Some of things we find have been:

Countless sunglasses

Action Figures

A Kayak

Mooring floats

Commercial Crab traps

About 4 fishing poles

Lighters (that never work)

and various other stuff.

Then at night I hit a local music store and enjoy no sales tax.

• Members

Wait a minute, is this the Black Friday the song 'Black Friday' by Steely Dan is about? I'm not a native english speaker, I'm Dutch, and the hardest thing is to get a grasp of all the expressions.

Every now and again I understand some song lyric better twenty or thirty years after I first heard them, by accidentily learning about a certain expression.

• Members

Wait a minute, is this the Black Friday the song 'Black Friday' by Steely Dan is about?

I don't think so. In this case, Black Friday refers to the economic impact of holiday shopping on the Friday after Thanksgiving in the US. In many cases, the revenue generated moves stores from the red to the black on the accounting books. What red and black on the books mean varies with who you ask, but my impression of being in the black means that they are at a positive net worth. Being in the red would mean a negative net worth.

Update: Trina's post below about turning a profit makes more sense. Ignore my net worth nonsense.

-A

• Members

Wait a minute, is this the Black Friday the song 'Black Friday' by Steely Dan is about? I'm not a native english speaker, I'm Dutch, and the hardest thing is to get a grasp of all the expressions.

Every now and again I understand some song lyric better twenty or thirty years after I first heard them, by accidentily learning about a certain expression.

Nah, Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving in the United States, where it is the beginning of the traditional Christmas shopping season. Since Thanksgiving falls on the fourth Thursday in November in the United States, Black Friday may be as early as the 23rd and as late as the 29th day of November. Black Friday is not an official holiday, but many employers give the day off, allowing consumers to get a head start on their Christmas shopping. Many retailers open very early (typically 5 A.M.) and offer doorbuster deals and sales to draw people to their stores. "Black Friday" was originally so named because of the heavy traffic on that day, although most contemporary uses of the term refer instead to it as the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black (i.e., turning a profit).

Trina

• Members

So what ARE those Steely Dan lyrics about? I just looked them up, but they seem pretty obscure to me:

"When Black Friday comes I'll stand down by the door

And catch all the grey men as they dive from the fourteenth floor

When Black Friday comes I'll collect everything I'm owed

And before my friends find out I'll be on the road

When Black Friday falls you know it's got to be

Don't let it fall on me

When Black Friday comes I'll fly down to Muswellbrook

Gonna strike all the big red words from my little black book

Gonna do just what I please, gonna wear no socks and shoes

With nothing to do but feed all the Kangaroos

When Black Friday comes I'll be on that hill

You know I will

When Black Friday comes I'm gonna dig myself a hole

Gonna lay down in it till I satisfy my soul

Gonna let the world pass by me, the Archbishop gonna sanctify me

And if he don't come across I' m gonna let it roll

When Black Friday comes I'm gonna stake my claim

I guess I'll change my name"

• Members

So what ARE those Steely Dan lyrics about? I just looked them up, but they seem pretty obscure to me:

"When Black Friday comes I'll stand down by the door

And catch all the grey men as they dive from the fourteenth floor

When Black Friday comes I'll collect everything I'm owed

And before my friends find out I'll be on the road

When Black Friday falls you know it's got to be

Don't let it fall on me

When Black Friday comes I'll fly down to Muswellbrook

Gonna strike all the big red words from my little black book

Gonna do just what I please, gonna wear no socks and shoes

With nothing to do but feed all the Kangaroos

When Black Friday comes I'll be on that hill

You know I will

When Black Friday comes I'm gonna dig myself a hole

Gonna lay down in it till I satisfy my soul

Gonna let the world pass by me, the Archbishop gonna sanctify me

And if he don't come across I' m gonna let it roll

When Black Friday comes I'm gonna stake my claim

I guess I'll change my name"

:idk: Steele Dan had a knack for word play and peppering their lyrics/songs with literary and cultural references. All I know about this song is, Muswellbrook is a town north-west of Sydney Australia.

Trina

• Members

thanks for the youtube. I must say, that was just splendid.

Steely Dan has been my favorite electric band since the '70s, if they're even a band @ all.

Their lyrics are always more than a little obscure, more than a bit weird, more than a skosh dark.

The first line refers of course to the market crash during the depression when many Wall Street types did actually leap to their deaths to escape their financial woes.

As an aside, Muswellbrook coincidently happens to be Tommy Emmanuel's home town.

• Members

That GC 20% thing is sort-of appealing...I'm interested in an electric upright, one of those new NS WAV ones. Only problem is, the only GC near me that carries them is outside Hartford CT - so I'd have to drive an hour and change on one of the worst travel periods of the year to save the dough.

I can't really afford it anyhow, though I'm tempted. That's $180 or so, and that's not nothing.

• Members

do you have to have a special coupon for the 20% off at GC or is it just general sale for everyone???

It's for everyone. They have it up on their website now. Looks like you could even call in an order, which would be much easier than fighting the crowd.

• Members

It could be about alot of things but I think black friday is a story about quitting as soon as you become famous.Thats my best guess.If you ever run into steely dan you might try asking him.
:)

Good luck with that. Walter Becker and Donald Fagen (the "him" of Steely Dan) are famous for never giving a straight answer about anything. I'm reminded of the interview with them on the "Two Against Nature" DVD, where they're asked which of their albums they like the best, and Becker replies, "Well, I've always been fond of 'Kind Of Blue'.

(That being the famous Miles Davis album, for the non-jazz oriented)

• Members

Good luck with that. Walter Becker and Donald Fagen (the "him" of Steely Dan) are famous for never giving a straight answer about anything. I'm reminded of the interview with them on the "Two Against Nature" DVD, where they're asked which of their albums they like the best, and Becker replies, "Well, I've always been fond of 'Kind Of Blue'.

(That being the famous Miles Davis album, for the non-jazz oriented)

An exquisite example to make your point, denvertrakker, while simultaneously demonstrating their humor, and yet another wonderful manifestation of pretzel logic.

Archived