Gitano Guitars

thedep3158

• Members

Originally posted by thedep3158

Anyone know anything about this brand of guitar?

I was looking at one as a starter for my son.

Dep

Do you mean Gitane? These are Selmer-Macafferi knock-offs, which aren't typically what you would set a beginner up with. If you don't mean Gitane, I have no idea.

• Members

Like BanjoKeith, I'm thinking you may be referring to Gitane. This a line by Saga Instruments, the same guys that make Blueridge steel string guitars and Regal resonator guitars. The Gitane line is indeed a relatively inexpensive knockoff of the Selmer/Macaiferri gypsy jazz style of guitar made poplular by Django Rheinhardt. It'd be a pretty intimidating instrument for a beginner.

Don't worry, someone will be along shortly to tell you, "get your son a Seagull."

• Members

Actually, there does appear to be a line of guitars from "Gitano" as opposed to the the gypsy guitars from Gitane. Though I cannot find any web info., there are several examples on sale on eBay. They are mostly jumbos and jumbo cutaways with onboard electronics.

I was looking at a jumbo with what is described as a solid spruce top and walnut back and sides. The Buy Now price was a whopping $166.00. The label is obscured and the brand is not listed. Was able to determine the name from a poor photo of the headstock (looked exactly like "Gitane" at first).

Another one, claiming to be solid spruce and solid mahogany s/b cutaway was actually listed as a "Gitano". The photos and description make them appear to be fairly decent quality, but there is obviously something very fishy given the unknown brand and price.

• Members

Thanks for all the input. It is Gitano...and when I didn't find any reviews in Harmony Central, I figured it must be some off shoot.

I'm looking at a Yamaha FG720, but I'll be checking out other brands..including Seagull..LOL.

Dep

• 1 month later...
  • Members

There is a guitar line named Gitano. I recently purchased one on EBAY. For a few dollars it is an excellent student guitar, or to be used as an inexpensive knockabout.

My guitar is a beauty, but requiring a few adjustments. The frets are new but are not even smooth. The finish is pretty good. And for the auction price of $68.00 and change... it can't be beat.

It even has an adjustable neck and a built-in eq/pre-amp on an acoustic guitar.

Check 'em out... don't be Skeered!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I picked one up on Ebay for about $70.00 and all I have to say for the price i was truly amazed. I bought a round back acoustic electric with a flamed maple top. It plays like a dream. It plays almost as nice as my Ovation that I paid 400.00 for. If your looking for a good cheap guitar this is the way to go.

• Members

"Gitano" guitars are a line of gypsy jazz guitars from Cordoba.

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/productcat.aspx?c=6

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/product.aspx?q=27&c=6

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/product.aspx?q=28&c=6

I have the 0-5. It's a very nice instrument, and they're quite a deal, IMO.

But unless you're son is looking for a starter gypsy jazz guitar, I wouldn't recommend them. They're an acquired taste, to be sure.

• Members

Not accusing anyone, but does anyone find it suspicious that both people that are saying Gitanos are pretty decent cheap guitars only have one post to their names?

Hey, I've got over 5,000 posts. :D

But it seems I'm talking about a different type of guitar than they are, too.

Archived