Help me identify my favorite guitar please (LARGE PICS)

abstract

• Members

Get the pics smaller so they'll fit on a screen in one take and it'll help.

Also, a full pic of the complete guitar, front and back as well as a full headstock from the front. A pic of the label as well, if there is one. From what you have here it's impossible for me to get an idea. The numbers don't help me but may someone else.

• Members

Get the pics smaller so they'll fit on a screen in one take and it'll help.

Also, a full pic of the complete guitar, front and back as well as a full headstock from the front. A pic of the label as well, if there is one. From what you have here it's impossible for me to get an idea. The numbers don't help me but may someone else.

The pics fit on my screen perfectly?

Will take full frontal and rear shots. As well as headstock.

No label (that'd make ID'ing it a wee bit easier);)

• Members

What size do you suggest I resize them to?

I've got a 19" monitor

800X600 as mentioned will fit most screens. I'm actually on my laptop that is a small screen, lightweight unit I bought because of the light weight. It's about 13" diagonally. I suppose I could hit wifey's computer with the 21" but I'm not really inclined to go upstairs. ;)

Pics look good but no label. Looks like a nice instrument. Judging by the brand I would guess a Nashville Guitar though the headstock decoration is different. You might contact them.

• Members

Abstract, one other question for you that might help us ID your lovely git:

Do you have any idea where your dad might have bought it? I'm thinking along the lines of smaller, obscure manufacturers that might have since gone out of business, or maybe a "boutique" maker.

For instance, the links I posted earlier are for a git built by Nashville Guitar Works, the back of which looks much like yours. But now the only thing Google comes up with by that name is a repair shop that opened in '93, not a manufacturer.

I also interpret that serial number to be the 76th guitar of the year, finished on 1/20/87. But that's just a guess, like everyone else's, so far.

• Members

The guy at the music store said an old man brought it in.

I found the guitar...then my dad went and bought it without my knowledge.

It was $200, but it's the best sounding acoustic I've ever heard. EVER. I will be buried with this guitar.

The owner of the shop is a guy named Ben Jack. He played with Earl Scruggs back in the day. We have some decent players in this area...but at the time we didn't have any other guitar stores.

Nashville Guitar co. has been around since like early 70s...?

I'm not saying I think that's what it is...BY ANY MEANS...just saying.

• Members

I'd give them an e-mail with the serial number and see what they say.

It very well could be. It has been 20 years if it was made in 1987.

Lots of smaller builders make changes to the headstocks of their guitars.

Also, the abalone on your guitar is a high end feature, so I wouldn't discount the possibility that it is a Nashville guitar.

• Members

The guy at the music store said an old man brought it in.

I found the guitar...then my dad went and bought it without my knowledge.

It was $200, but it's the best sounding acoustic I've ever heard. EVER. I will be buried with this guitar.

The owner of the shop is a guy named Ben Jack. He played with Earl Scruggs back in the day. We have some decent players in this area...but at the time we didn't have any other guitar stores.

Nashville Guitar co. has been around since like early 70s...?

I'm not saying I think that's what it is...BY ANY MEANS...just saying.

Wow, what a cool story! Even if it's lineage can't be traced, you've got a very special, beautiful git.

I'd definitely call or email Nashville Guitar. If it's not theirs, they might be able to give you some clues.

• Members

Wow, what a cool story! Even if it's lineage can't be traced, you've got a very special, beautiful git.

I'd definitely call or email Nashville Guitar. If it's not theirs, they might be able to give you some clues.

Thats not the half of it.

In 1998-1999 I traveled in a student group called Up With People. I had this guitar with me the whole time. We traveled thru the North East US, Ontario, Quebec, then we went to the South East US...then on to Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Slovakia, and France. I traveled with some VERY talented actors and musicians. Some are on TV nowadays. They taught me a LOT.

In the group was a girl from Germany. She's on the couch next to me. I am TRULY lucky to have the experiences I had...and this guitar helped me thru the tough times.

I'm not joking when I say I will be buried with this guitar. My wife and family have VERY explicit instructions.

You can see I'm not interested in the monetary value of the guitar...I'm more interested in learning who may have built my guitar, and possibly meeting them, or getting another similar to it.

Thanks for the help so far.

• Members

There are grain patterns inside I don't see outside...lemme take pics.

OK....just deleted ALL the {censored}ing pics I just took. FOR THE THIRD TIME IN THIS THREAD.

It's late...and I'm not in the mood to do that {censored} again. I'm pissed at my camera, and if that happens again, I won't have a camera to take pics with. And it's my wifes, so that'll just cause all sorts of problems.

Basically...there's a join inside the guitar that you can't see on the back. That means it's at least two pieces thick.

It sounds better than solid acoustics I've heard. I've played 800 series taylors...martin d45's...THIS GUITAR HAS NO RIVAL. I've had more offers to buy this guitar than I can count.

BTW, it's for sale. Bids start at $100,000. Everything is for sale...the question is, at what price.

• Members

My guess is that is MIJ made by whoever made the Nagoya brand guitars for Veneman Music in the DC area. Basically a pretty decent Martin copy/style. Possible manufacturers include Suzuki (3 S Suzuki especially) and or S. Yairi (major edit-S. not K.) or related businesses .Would be very high up in the line as indicated by the mod# and general quality, Grover tuners (are those real?). Lack of logo etc. could indicate a house brand and or prototype. I base this judgement on some experience with Nagoya/Veneman ,general look of the guitar ,the N in the model number etc. Lots of guitars came out of Nagoya and related manufacturers (BC RICH NJ series though obviously not flat tops for example) and there is some sort of modern classical guitar work titled Nagoya Guitar.

Solid top? How about the back and sides?

Note: If you check the HC reviews section, there actually were MIJ guitars branded Nashville. Again I suspect a Nagoya etc. connection.

Lately I've got Nagoya and Bradley on the brain as I picked up a cheapo Nagoya off CL which is pretty stunning for little dough, though I got a deal due to some damage to the bottom of the guitar.

• Members

Thats not the half of it.

In 1998-1999 I traveled in a student group called Up With People.
I had this guitar with me the whole time. We traveled thru the North East US, Ontario, Quebec, then we went to the South East US...then on to Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Slovakia, and France. I traveled with some VERY talented actors and musicians. Some are on TV nowadays. They taught me a LOT.

In the group was a girl from Germany. She's on the couch next to me. I am TRULY lucky to have the experiences I had...and this guitar helped me thru the tough times.

I'm not joking when I say I will be buried with this guitar. My wife and family have VERY explicit instructions.

You can see I'm not interested in the monetary value of the guitar...I'm more interested in learning who may have built my guitar, and possibly meeting them, or getting another similar to it.

Thanks for the help so far.

You and that git have lived a lot of life together and undoubtedly still have many, many wonderful years and adventures ahead of you. :)

I'm grinning from ear to ear as I write this. In 1967-1969 I sang with a student Up With People group, too!! We only remained in So. California, though. Your group was obviously a lot bigger than ours was and got to tour more extensively.

And (a bit of bragging here) I was the youngest soloist in our group. Did "The Ride of Paul Revere" and "Freedom Isn't Free" all by myself and shared "Up With People" with a male vocalist, trading verses. I had just turned 13 years old when I stepped in front of the mic for the first time.

I'll never forget those years as long as I live. :)

My one regret is that somewhere along the way I lost my song book and can't remember the lyrics to most of the songs.

What city is your wife from? My dad worked overseas for many years and he met/married my step-mom in Nuremberg. My step-granny lived in Pegnitz until she passed away a couple of years ago.

• Members

think we had Katimavik or something in Canada, similar to Up With People type thing...I remember the TV commercials.

I see the Nashvilles on the web over here sometimes. Nagoya is the part of Japan where many great guitars were made at one point, interesting they chose that name for a line of exports, sure leave no doubt as to where they were made.

• Members

The typeface/script of the model number definitely looks far-eastern in style so I concur that it is most likely a '70's import.

The implied laminate construction would seem to confirm that. (There are some slab-sawn 'swirls' in the interior grain of the back, which you can see through the soundhole, which don't correspond with the straight grain on the exterior of the back).

Archived