Weekend open mic updates, anyone?

kwakatak

• Members

I know that Queequeg and Whalebot were attending one last night and I went to (but didn't play at) one near to me. I was wondering how it went with theirs, but if anyone else also attended one feel free to chime in with your own reports/impressions.

As for mine, I got there late and the list was pretty full. It's thrown by a local music shop and the coordinator (who's not an employee) does a pretty good job with keeping things running along. He also puts clips on youtube which is nice. Doors opened at 6:45 (store closed at 5 so the owner could grab some chow I guess) and the mic opened at 7. There were lots of new people and it was SRO so things didn't end until 10:30. Many students and young (teen and 20-something) singer/songwriters were in attendence - especially young girls with voices that could put Hannah Montana to shame. It was pretty daunting for an old fart like me, so I sat this one out. I could have gone on last but the 15 year-old girl who had just played nailed a couple of tunes by Alanis Morrisette and Train even though she'd only been taking lessons for 7 months.

I gotta work on my pipes and chops if I want to get up there and hang with that crowd! :o

• Members

I know that Queequeg and Whalebot were attending one last night and I went to (but didn't play at) one near to me. I was wondering how it went with theirs, but if anyone else also attended one feel free to chime in with your own reports/impressions.

As for mine, I got there late and the list was pretty full. It's thrown by a local music shop and the coordinator (who's not an employee) does a pretty good job with keeping things running along. He also puts clips on youtube which is nice. Doors opened at 6:45 (store closed at 5 so the owner could grab some chow I guess) and the mic opened at 7. There were lots of new people and it was SRO so things didn't end until 10:30. Many students and young (teen and 20-something) singer/songwriters were in attendence -
especially young girls with voices that could put Hannah Montana to shame.

Of that I have no doubt. HM is nothing more than a packaged product handled by an excellent merchandising staff.

It was pretty daunting for an old fart like me,
so I sat this one out. I could have gone on last but the 15 year-old girl who had just played nailed a couple of tunes by Alanis Morrisette and Train even though she'd only been taking lessons for 7 months.

That's why old geezettes like me confine the picking to the front porch. Those wonderfully talented/skilled kids are indeed a source of an inferiority complex. ;)

I gotta work on my pipes and chops if I want to get up there and hang with that crowd!
:o

Just go give it your best shot. I've heard your music and you're better than you think. :thu:

• Members

Just go give it your best shot. I've heard your music and you're better than you think.
:thu:

Thanks, Samilyn! :)

Based on the contributions to the Annex there are a few more here who could really do well enough to get their stuff out there though. At least one person seems to have jumped ship though. ;)

• Members

Here is the problem as I see it:

Rant.....

Most of the young are fearless of making mistakes. They are willing to take risks. They don't sweat it if the forget some lines or muff a few chords. Many of them don't practice or give thier song selection a second thought. They get up there and do it.

Perfectionists are consumed with NOT making mistakes. IMO, Neil is one of the best fingerstyle players on this forum, but he tends to focus only on what he sees as weaknesses (I think he is nuts - ;)). He also does a good job on his vocals. He let me listen to his version of Cat Steven's Wild World a few years ago. I was equally impressed with his playing and his singing.

I tend to be a prefectionist when I try to record music. That's why I don't enjoy recording music. In my stupid head, mistakes are not allowed on my recordings. I am doing my best to lighten up on myself and to take more risks. It's not like I am practicing for an audition to go on a world tour with John Mayer. Life is too short to always be practicing for something that will never happen.

Neil,

I love you buddy but you need to stop worrying and beating yourself up. Grab your guitar and get your ass up there next time. You are cheating those kids by not playing in front of them. They could learn a lot from you.

Rant over....

:cop:

:lol:

• Members

Rant.....

Rant over....

Good rant. It is totally true. As a slightly younger presence here on the forum, I can very much identify with Hud's description of the "younger" performer. (When I'm recording, I'm a total perfectionist but that's a different story.) Occasionally, I don't even make setlists for my shows! At my last show in Chicago, I had my Instant Messenger running so that my friends from Boston could make live song suggestions, which the audience thought was a hoot.

I think, though, that neither approach is very good. A really good performer (especially a really good open mic performer) should be able to hit the happy medium between reckless abandon and total perfectionism.

Ellen

• Members

Gee, thanks Hud! If you saw what my house looked like you'd reconsider that "perfectionist" remark, though.
:o

Dude, I don't know about your homemaker skills, but you are a guitar playing perfectionist. ;)

Seriously, I think it's time for you to stop being critical of your playing and singing. Life is too short for that crap. :thu:

• Members

I travel quite a bit and was in Raleigh last week. Checked out an open mic there, but luckily left my guitar in the car. This was one of those places with a full backline (couple guitar amps, bass amp, drums, bongos... keys, I think).

For those that do, how do you get up there and play a set of your own songs on acoustic after a full band blasts through a few classic rock type covers? I've done it once before in another place and it was difficult, but last week the vibe just didn't seem right either.

I'm finding that in general it's hard to find places that don't have 75% (or more) of the folks playing covers. I typically try to play 2 originals and a cover, but the covers are normally nothing anyone knows... anyways, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Man, is it tough to find a good place in the Triangle area. Openmikes.org and even their local weekly entertainment paper is way outdated... I've shown up to several during the past year only to find they weren't having them anymore so now I always call first.

In full disclosure, I'm not even close to a perfectionist when I record or play out... but it's definitely sloppier (nerves) playing out.

• Members

Good rant. It is totally true. As a slightly younger presence here on the forum, I can very much identify with Hud's description of the "younger" performer. (When I'm recording, I'm a total perfectionist but that's a different story.) Occasionally, I don't even make setlists for my shows! At my last show in Chicago, I had my Instant Messenger running so that my friends from Boston could make live song suggestions, which the audience thought was a hoot.

I think, though, that neither approach is very good. A really good performer (especially a really good open mic performer) should be able to hit the happy medium between reckless abandon and total perfectionism.

Ellen

Well said Ellen. As for you being "a slightly younger presence here on the forum," I have open jars of mayonnaise older than you. :D

• Members

Actually...when I am hosting an open mic I love it when the young female singer/songwriters get up and do their stuff. It's lovely and I like to hear their songs and they usually have beautiful voices.

I never think of these things as a competition...besides I am usually the only one playing old obscure (to them) folk and blues songs and I do a lot of open tuning slide. If I bring my blues harp playing buddy along and we lay some Sonny Boy Williamson, Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter on them...it usually becomes one big party...:freak:

• Members

Dude, I don't know about your homemaker skills, but you are a guitar playing perfectionist.
;)

Seriously, I think it's time for you to stop being critical of your playing and singing. Life is too short for that crap.
:thu:

+1.

Neil, I really hope you don't mind my critique but, first, you are an excellent player and, second, you're wrapped too tight to play. You're on critical over-load.

You delivered quite well during your time in the lights at the LB Jam. But, you really didn't show them what you've got to give. You played as if it was a school assignment and sweated it out before you went on. I watched your fingerstyle, which you didn't do at the open mic by your own admittance to being too nervous, and that's where you shine. And, if I might be so bold, you have one helluva voice.

In your defense I will say that maybe you didn't have any one tune down as well as you would like. That can undermine confidence. Plus, there were some pretty well-accomplished players there that were hard acts to follow. But, it wasn't a competition. It was, and is, suppose to be fun and a release to experience while playing, not after. So, grab a big doob, loosen up and have some fun.

• Members

BTW - youtubes are coming up by the guy who arranges the open mic. Just to show you how good these kids were, check out these videos:

The girl in this first one is only 15 and has only been playing 6-7 months. She closed the night out:

These two guys had an entourage of their own. They did pretty d@mned well IMO too.

• Members

BTW - youtubes are coming up by the guy who arranges the open mic. Just to show you how good these kids were, check out these videos:

The girl in this first one is only 15 and has only been playing 6-7 months. She closed the night out:

These two guys had an entourage of their own. They did pretty d@mned well IMO too.

That's really cool that they Youtube the open mic performances. And also that girl has a great voice!! And she's way better than I was at 7 months into my guitar career. Plus those guys performed a Nickel Creek song so they scored points with me.

Ellen

• Members

Neil, I agree with all that's been said here. You need to have more faith in what's deep down inside you, that it will come out when you're playing. Stop thinking it to death - just let it flow.

I've had my share of musical train wrecks and I survived every one of 'em. It's like getting thrown from a horse or bike - you just get right back on, because if you don't, the fear of failure takes hold of you and hangs on tighter than a tick.

I hope I have the privilege of attending an LB jam someday and if so, I truly hope to see you there!

• Members

If I may be so bold -where??

And ewwwwww.....

I went on openmikes.org and found a bunch in my general area. On the first Friday of the month I go to Border's Books in Nashua. On the last Sunday there is J Buck's in Amesbury. There are openmikes in Peabody at Border's and Hooksett (Hooksett Library) on the 3rd Friday of the month that I have gone to. The 2nd Saturday is the Round Room, a really stellar acoustic venue - no one plugs in as the acoustics are perfect. Then there is a sometimes coffee house at the Congregational Church n Mason, every Friday there is the Stagecoach in Groton (I go only occasionally,) plus in the Spring the Nutfield Sessions starts up again on Sundays - this is another great gathering of musicians and we often play in the park in the bandstand. There are others as well. openmikes.org is a great resource.

As for the mayonnaise comment, I was just feeling old and wretched and reacting to Ellen's use of the term "slightly younger" No disrespect to Ellen was intended of course.

• Members

I went on openmikes.org and found a bunch in my general area. On the first Friday of the month I go to Border's Books in Nashua. On the last Sunday there is J Buck's in Amesbury. There are openmikes in Peabody at Border's and Hooksett (Hooksett Library) on the 3rd Friday of the month that I have gone to. The 2nd Saturday is the Round Room, a really stellar acoustic venue - no one plugs in as the acoustics are perfect. Then there is a sometimes coffee house at the Congregational Church n Mason, every Friday there is the Stagecoach in Groton (I go only occasionally,) plus in the Spring the Nutfield Sessions starts up again on Sundays - this is another great gathering of musicians and we often play in the park in the bandstand. There are others as well. openmikes.org is a great resource.

As for the mayonnaise comment, I was just feeling old and wretched and reacting to Ellen's use of the term "slightly younger" No disrespect to Ellen was intended of course.

Why that's my backyard (Goffstown, town of Goff). When I'm back from vaca in two weeks (crazy, I know. Why would anyone want to leave the grey snowbanks and soggy streets of windblown NH for sunny beaches and fruity rum drinks?:blah:) I'll check a few out, um in the audience. I'm what Cripes described in another thread as a "bedroom" guitar player. I'd be the poster child for stage fright....

Thanks for the link. I'll be happy to buy the beer if I see ya...course I'll be lookin' for Gabby Hayes....:wave:

• Members

That's really cool that they Youtube the open mic performances. And also that girl has a great voice!! And she's way better than I was at 7 months into my guitar career. Plus those guys performed a Nickel Creek song so they scored points with me.

Ellen

Those guys get points from me for playing a Dustin Kensrue song.

• Members

There's an open mic thread over at AGF and one of the replies featured this link from acousticfingerstyle dot com:

http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/openmics.htm

Some good info there. I'll be bookmarking it.

BTW, with regards to my own performance I'm starting to realize that Cripes' advice is even more spot on than when I first read it. I guess I've been going to these open mics in order to let out some hidden angst or something when in fact I need to loosen up and get comfortable playing in front of others. I'm actually pretty confident with my playing abilities but getting up in front of and performing for strangers - whether it's giving a speech or playing music - is documented to be the biggest fear that Americans have and I'm not an exception. After only two times up on that stage I felt more comfortable the last time around. My issue I suppose was that I got there too late (which wasn't my intention) and didn't want to play last. In my defense, I also didn't feel prepared. Next time I plan on being prepared and have the songs picked out and lyric sheets put together just in case.

Archived