A guitar that just might be a deeply religeous experience!

Terry Allan Hall

• Members

No sweat times two Broadus. I'm always up for metaphysical insights over a session with guitar. Very lyrically inspiring as well. You know, they seem to travel the same road away from ruin. I'm 52, BTW, looking at 53 the day before St. Pat steals my thunder, once again. But, he's a beer tolerant fellow and alright by me.

Well, my friend, we're the same age, though you have me by about 3 1/2 months.

Bill

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To me it boils down to two contradictory desires. The first would be from the builder of the guitar (assuming it's not the usual soulless corporation), who perhaps desired to push his/her skills to the limit to create some masterpiece for the glory of his/her god. The second would be the more common person, the potential buyer. For the buyer I'd think that such a guitar would be completely opposed to Christianity - if you read the Bible, does Jesus happen to say anywhere that bling helps you get into heaven? Quite the opposite.

I would think that the ideal "Christian guitar" would be a solid but inexpensive guitar which could be distributed with lessons to a large number of people, instead of a rich-man's toy you'd be afraid to take out of its case.

• Members

There's a fella from Viet Nam sellin some purty fancy schamncy inlay guitars on eBay these days. Can't speak to the quality of the gits, but some are attractive and some are ugly as a mud fence!

Potato, Pototo?

Greetings all... Wonderful community you have here!

• Members
There's a fella from Viet Nam sellin some purty fancy schamncy inlay guitars on eBay these days. Can't speak to the quality of the gits, but some are attractive and some are ugly as a mud fence!

Potato, Pototo?

Welcome, GW. Glad to have you here. :)

• Members

Potato, Pototo?

The inlay stuff ain't no big deal skill-wise. A miniature router, templates and patience can turn anyone into an "artisan". If you could see the process you would agree. Some might argue that contrasting color selection requires an artist's eye. We might temper that because I know we've all seen inlay work the didn't "work" for us but we nevertheless still marvel at the work. The inlay work I admire is very subtle and consists of wood materials only. I truly get turned off by MOTS.

• Members
To me it boils down to two contradictory desires. The first would be from the builder of the guitar (assuming it's not the usual soulless corporation), who perhaps desired to push his/her skills to the limit to create some masterpiece for the glory of his/her god. The second would be the more common person, the potential buyer. For the buyer I'd think that such a guitar would be completely opposed to Christianity - if you read the Bible, does Jesus happen to say anywhere that bling helps you get into heaven? Quite the opposite.

I would think that the ideal "Christian guitar" would be a solid but inexpensive guitar which could be distributed
with lessons
to a large number of people, instead of a rich-man's toy you'd be afraid to take out of its case.

Why is it that I don't yet realize that I'll take less heat if I keep my opinions to myself? ;) Now, to create consternation among my Christian brothers and sisters . . . .

I almost completely agree with the above statement. I don't like to "Christianize" things, such as musical instruments. This guitar is beautiful without the inlay work. The wood is beautiful.

Consequently, the ideal "Christian guitar," to this Christian, is simply a beautiful guitar in all its natural glory, well built with good wood for a beautiful sound, which the guitarist will use to make wonderful music. Okay, add a simple rosette and binding, but that's enough.

Bill

[awaiting tar and feathers]

• Members

Eye appeal is a very personal thing. Some like a lot of ornamentation, period. Terry wears a lot of jewelry - rings, pins and such - while I can't even manage a watch strapped to my wrist or carry a wallet, much less a cell phone. Don't even try to rationalize that which cannot be reduced to logic alone.

Ostentatiousness is a false concept relative to our collective desires to stand out or not to stand out. Showmanship is key to entertainers. It's a uniform of sorts and usually individually personalized to suit the ego. Whatever works is fine by me. Guitars are hardly exempt - obviously - and sometimes it is disturbing to see the use of jewelry extended to them. Add symbology to the mix and it either supports the bejeweling or is an excuse for it, which strictly depends on the opinion of the observer. I would not buy a bejeweled spectacle of ostentatiousness. Other's will buy it and think that I am clueless about what looks "classy".

Then, there's the false notion that glitz means value. Many folk think that sparkly translates to expensive - an ounce of impression is worth more than a pound of performance - and buy accordingly. Whatever works for them is fine by me but I will still shoot from the hip with my opinion if asked.

No tar, no feathers Broadus.

• Members

You can always drive the convertible.

You know, with the Jesus air freshener in the sound hole. Just remove it for when you play those pagan gigs.

I did a little searching for one of those "soundhole lute feedback buster" things in a Christian motif, and couldn't find even one. Hmm...

• Members

I did a little searching for one of those "soundhole lute feedback buster" things in a Christian motif, and couldn't find even one. Hmm...

Lutehole will custom-make anything you want, but they charge a little more...not positive on the price - maybe $75, maybe a bit less, depending on wood choice.

http://lutehole.com

• Members

Lutehole will custom-make anything you want, but they charge a little more...not positive on the price - maybe $75, maybe a bit less, depending on wood choice.

Thanks for the link, Terry. I'm going to pick up a couple of those covers. I read some testimonials on their site that confirmed my thinking that they would probably enhance recording by reducing the air movement at the mic. The guitars I have blow away a large condensor (1") mic so this might be the answer. It's a cheaper experiment than picking up a couple smaller condensor mics.

• Members

Thanks for the link, Terry. I'm going to pick up a couple of those covers. I read some testimonials on their site that confirmed my thinking that they would probably enhance recording by reducing the air movement at the mic. The guitars I have blow away a large condensor (1") mic so this might be the answer. It's a cheaper experiment than picking up a couple smaller condensor mics.

Really like the ones I put in my Guild JF-4 and Taylor 355...good balance between feedback control and unplugged sound.

• Members

Very nice inlay and super craftsmanship as well as quality materials ( wonder how it sounds )- I wonder if the person whom this guitar was made for had going threw their head when they had this gaudy inlay done . As a Christian it offends me because it is way over done - and preachy ! . a simple small cross would of been in better taste - i also feel thou the artist who did the work was skilled , this was a job they should of turned down .

Archived