What kind of guitar is that in the movie "Once"

kwakatak

• Members

I've been watching clips of "Falling Slowly" on Youtube and can't quite make out the headstock between the grainy picture quality and all the blubbering I'm doing - hey, it's a pretty song! :o

It looks like a really beat up Takamine or Seagull, but I can't be sure. It looks like a cedar top but it's got a whole bunch of holes in it that I haven't seen on any other guitar than an Ovation. Am I far off?

• Members

Of course, I had to watch it.

One thing I noticed was that the sound of the Tak in the beginning of the movie seemed very compressed. This was a bit odd, because he was supposedly playing outside (busking), but the sound seemed very processed. :poke: You just can't get that kind of acoustic punch without adding compression.

• Members

in his own words-

i like the movie- for it unpretentious simplicity- my favorite part would have to be the weekend in the studio- it really made you feel like you were right there...

and the sound track is a great listen- plays well on a road trip or in the bedroom... 8^)

I definitely hear the similarities. After watching the video referenced above and recalling something about Cat/Youseff's background I'm not surprised by the similarity; there seem to be some parallels in their backgrounds.

• Members

Am I the only person who thinks Glen sound A LOT like Cat Stevens?

You mean his voice? Then no. Steven/Cat/Yusuf had a distinct tone, kind of plaintive, kind of delicate, that was apparent even in his growlier moments (chorus of "Hard Headed Woman", for example). To me Glen H sounds much edgier, and less distinctive, in his default mode.

You mean as songwriter? Then no there too. I'm not saying there are no similarities--I'm just saying I didn't sense any when I saw that movie. Which I loved.

Archived