NGD: Larrivee L-03R

Glenn F

• Members

I am not the greatest photographer, lol!

The last pic shows off the lovely binding. There's a couple of bear claw marks. This guitar is superb. I tried the L-03, but the spruce wasn't as nice, and it was a bit too bright with brand new Elixir PB nanos on it. I am going to go play her for a while before supper.

Cheers!

Glenn

• Members

Yeah, it probably is, for the foreseeable future. I can't, for the life of me, think of another acoustic that I am really lusting over. I have a Taylor 310; Martin D-15, and, now, the L-03R. Not to mention a Seagull S12, and a Hanika 54PC classical.

I've been playing a fair bit this evening. This won't constitute a review, but initial impressions. The Larrivee has some light gauge Elixir polywebs on it, I don't think they're PBs. The L-03 that I tried today had very dead strings on them, and difficult to move on, almost as if they'd been played to death. On a brand new guitar, wha???

I find the sound a bit complex, and hard to describe. The rosewood gives the lower strings a nice sort of complex bass, while the higher registers are crystal clear. It can play very gently, or it can ROAR. Even at the exorbitant price I paid here, I still feel I got a guitar that is well worth what I paid for it. I asked someone at one of the American shops recommended in this forum what it would cost to ship here, and I was told $300.00 on top of the MAP price. No special price, just MAP. So, after duty, and sales taxes, I probably wouldn't have saved much, if anything. I did get them to knock off 6% of what they were asking, which kinda astounded me, as they are pretty tight-cheeked.

I truly feel blessed to have a collection of 1st rate guitars that are not flashy blinged-out upper end models, just beautifully constructed instruments designed for great sound and playability. I guess I've been making up for my lean years.

This is an early birthday present. The Larris are scarce around here, so I thought I'd jump at the opportunity.

Happy Boitday to me!

Cheers,

Glenn

PS, hope to get a couple of songs up at the Annex, featuring the singing of my lovely wife, and my new L-03R.

Archived