Ordered A Blueridge BG-160

Gary in NJ

• Members

So I ordered a Blueridge BG-160 today from Musicians Friend. I also ordered some Gotoh (gold) tuning heads and TUSQ bridge pins for a little customization.

From a local guitar shop (they couldn't get the Blueridge guitar) I ordered an LR Baggs pick-up system that consists of an iMix, M1 sound-hole pickup and Element saddle pick-up. They gave me a great price on this set-up (list $439; I paid $299). Plus, if I have any issues installing the system, I know they will be there to help.

I'm really excited about this guitar and look forward to putting it together just the way I want it. Everything about this purchase was suggested by the fine folks here in the acoustic forum. So you should feel just as proud as I do about this guitar.

Thanks for your help.

• Members

Ahhhh great...yea :rolleyes:

Now I have the task of figuring out what songs to pull the electric out....

What type of electric......

What mic to buy for the amp....

Even what amp to buy.....

I think his new purchase is going to cost me more :cry:

• Members

Congatulations on the new guitar! I keep looking at the BGs and drooling! I just bought a BR 160 not too long ago though...the wife would kill me! Let us know how the new tuners work out...I'm thinking about doing the same. Do you know if the BR and BG use the same tuners?

• Members

I'm not sure it it's the only difference, or a difference at all but the only BG series Blueridges I've ever seen were slope shoulder dreadnoughts.

The BG's have a 24.5 scale length (like a Gibson J-45) v the 25.5 for the BR's (like a D-28 Martin).

• Members

The BG's have a 24.5 scale length (like a Gibson J-45) v the 25.5 for the BR's (like a D-28 Martin).

Thanks Gary, that goes hand in glove with the slope shoulder.

I just might have to rethink my wants there. I've lusted after a J45 for ever and when funds become available I may well have a look at Blueridge. I thought about a Masterbilt version but it's my understanding they don't sound anywhere near the same.

• Members

Have you, by chance, compared the sound and playability to the J45 or the AJ5--M?

The BG is a bit of a strange duck. It is shaped like a J-45 (body and scale length), yet the tone is much closer to that of a Martin sound. Too me, that's the best of both worlds.

The tone from a J-45 is hard to describe. It's very even across the spectrum; not to bright and not too boomy. On it's own I think a J-45 sounds great. In a group setting I don't think they don't standout too much. A Martin will cut through like a knife.

I played the BG-160 with the other guitar player in my band yesterday (just acoustically). He has a Takamine EAN15, a very nice guitar. I had him play both his guitar and mine for me back-to-back. I really thought that the Blueridge sounded better. Not just a little better - much better.

• Members

I played the BG-160 with the other guitar player in my band yesterday (just acoustically). He has a Takamine EAN15, a very nice guitar. I had him play both his guitar and mine for me back-to-back. I really thought that the Blueridge sounded better. Not just a little better - much better.

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

He also said that about his plastic Martin that he traded up for is Ibanez AF30.

When he got his AF30 he said the above too. Now he traded that up for the BG-160. I am sure when he trades that up the next one will "sound" better too... :thu:

• Members

After going back and reading these it appears as if I am busting bad on Gary's new purchase and that was not my intent....well it was for Gary - just not for the rest of anyone interested in a Blue Ridge.

All kidding aside - when I played it, it did have a remarkably pretty good sound that was light years ahead of his previous guitar. The attenuation was perfect and it played easily. Not something you would grow tired of.

Based on playing BG-160 and spending time in a few different music stores with him during his search, I would recommend that guitar to someone not looking to drop $2k on a name, or a "gigging" guitar that you don't have to worry about someone stepping on.

Downside of the guitar - tuners. They were pretty poor quality. He has already upgraded them as well as ordered his custom electronics. Honestly, I can't wait to see and hear it complete.

Archived