Norman B-30

joshmac

• Members

• Members

Hey everyone, I stumbled upon a listing for a mint Norman B-30, with HSC for 100$ on my local classifieds. Should I snatch it up?

If it is in good shape..........not bellied or sick.....plays and sounds good......if it still sounds good with old strings.....GRAB IT!!!!

• Members

looks like its in pretty good condition, except this worries me a little

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=40343748&img=http://kijiji.ebayimg.com/i19/07/k/000/79/42/88ee_18.JPG?set_id=1C4000

Looks like the tuner got knocked on something, although it could just be loose

Im really wantin this guy to respond. looks like an amazing deal, and the norman i played on saturday was awesome

• Members

I used to have a 1978 B-30. The B-20C I had later wasn't really in its league. For that price, check it out. If the guitar isn't coming apart, then I'd personally grab it. I think my serial # was 453 or something.

Cheers,

Glenn

PS, here is a picture of my old B-30. It does seem to be a different colour than the one you've shown. Also, I had to replace the tuners on mine around 8 years into ownership. That pic was taken in 1989, I believe, alongside a B-20 12.

sc00079b29.jpg

• Members

Im really wantin this guy to respond. looks like an amazing deal, and the norman i played on saturday was awesome

Looks like the G and high E tuners have been knocked lose and replaced. My former pastor had an old Alvarez with the same issue. IMHO, it's a potential sign the guitar has been abused. (My former pastor didn't use a stand and would simply lean his guitar against the nearest vertical surface, where it fell over more than once. I bought him a stand out of sympathy for his guitar.) That said, assuming the guitar doesn't have any other isssues, you can replace the tuners with Gotohs or Grovers for less than $40, assuming you can find a set that fit.

• Members

Tuning machines are relatively inexpensive. If the rest of the guitar is ok, grab it.

• Members

well although i think its not right to do this, the guy relisted at 150. He said first 150 takes it. Yes/No? I told him yes depending on a few factors. Should I ask him to take pictures of any thigns in particular before i go check it out?

• Members

Unless the original ad expired it's kind of chicken{censored} to pull it and raise the price but.....

If it's close, just go by and have a look. Take a light and mirror if you have them and inspect the interior.

Follow the instructions HERE. If the neck does not need a reset, there are no cracks and everything looks good inside it's still a decent deal at the buck fiddy, with the case. (That looks well used by the way.) You might even be able to just straighten that bent tuner peg.

• Members

OK, then this is the most important dimension to look for.

Neckangle.jpg

If the ruler is below the top of the bridge wood it's not worth the drive and maybe even the ruler comes in even with the top of the bridge. From there it won't be long before the guitar needs a neck reset. That is, give or take a bit, about $275.00 US.

• Members

I have a B30 that I sold 250$ couple of months ago (the guitar was in "mint" condition with the OHSC). They are great guitars but you have to look at the belly behind the bridge like everybody says. That's a common problem on older Normans (I own 4 of them over the years).

Archived