I Changed My Strings and My Guitar Doesn

AZMLII

• Members

I recently changed the strings on my Epiphone AJ-200E for the first time. To me, it now sounds lower and the wound strings sound "muddier" than before. When I practice scales, the 4th string is also buzzing quite a bit ( I think from the higher end of the fretboard or the saddle.)

I guess it had 80/20 12s or 11s on it, since those are the only Epiphone brand acoustic strings I can find available.

I put D'Addario EJ-16 (PB 12s) on it.

I tightened the windings on the 6th string, per a post I found her, and it brightened that string up abit, but it still sounds lower than before and "muddier".

Could the difference in tone and the buzzing, be caused by the possible switch from 80/20 11s to PB 12s?

Thanks,

Patrick

• Members

If you've got the strings tuned up to standard like your previous set, and you still think they sound muddy, then you simply may not prefer that type of string.

D'Addario markets their phosphor bronze strings as "full" and "rich."

http://daddario.com/DADFaqAnswer.aspx?ID=276

If they aren't bright enough for you, you may want to check out a new set. But beware of certain string manufacturers and their marketing -- some brands market p/b strings as being "richer" (like D'Addario), while others market their p/b strings as being "brighter" (like Martin).

If you've got a buzzing issues, you may want to check the neck relief of your guitar, too. If you put on a heavier gauge string, you might need a truss rod adjustment.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

(If you aren't confident in doing this yourself, take it to a local guitar store to get a pro set up.)

• Members

If you had 11's on the guitar and switched to 12's, changing to a heavier gauge string can increase the tension in the neck that may require an adjustment of the truss rod. I think this may be the source of your problem. I would recommend you have a professional do this rather than yourself. Messing with the truss rod if you don't know what you are doing can be hazardous to your guitar. In the meantime, you can always switch back to 11's.

• Members
If you had 11's on the guitar and switched to 12's, changing to a heavier gauge string can increase the tension in the neck that may require an adjustment of the truss rod. I think this may be the source of your problem. I would recommend you have a professional do this rather than yourself. Messing with the truss rod if you don't know what you are doing can be hazardous to your guitar. In the meantime, you can always switch back to 11's.

+1
:thu:

• Members

I'm thinking that you may have inadvertently put a LIGHTER gauge set on than you originally had - a heavier gauge set would bow the neck more and would reduce (not cause) fret buzz. A lighter gauge would allow the neck to backbow slightly, causing buzz. If they are indeed the same gauge as the originals, it could just be the difference between the 80/20 and PB vibration characteristics causing both the buzz and the difference in sound. How does the low-E ride in the nut now? Does it sit high, or is it seated all the way down in the nut? If you can remember how the original sat, how does it compare? Don't know that I'd go the truss rod adjustment route just yet, especially since you dont like the sound of the new strings anyway. I play Martin 80/20 lights (red package) and absolutely LOVE THEM.

• Members

Play them for a few days and see what happens...just stretching them a lot may make a difference.

I agree with this.

I'd also look closely at how they are strung. As previously stated, how are the strings riding in the nut slots? How are strings breaking over the saddle. When I've experienced "muddier" sounding strings, it has been that a groove has worn in a plastic saddle.

Scott O

• Members

My experience has been that phos bronze is "warmer" than 80/20, but that's just me and my gits. Take it for what it's worth.

If the buzzing is only on one string, the first thing I'd do is undo the string and make sure its ball end is seated firmly against the bridge plate. A badly seated string can make a lot of racket.

• Members

I checked the strings at the nut, and they seem to be seated normally. I also checked the the saddle, and it doesn't seem to be worn. Also, when I put the strings on, I reached inside and made sure they were all seated correctly, before tightening them on the tunning pegs.

I emailed Epiphone/Gibson, and they said the guitar came stock with Epiphone 12-52 Acoustic strings (80/20). I picked up some 80/20 12-53 D'Addario's yesterday, and will put them on soon.

If that doesn't brighten things up, I'll try another brand.

If that doesn't work I'll take it to the luthier, and talk to him about a bone nut and saddle etc.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. As always, the forum is a wealth of knowledge, and people are so helpful.

Patrick

Archived