August Rush

Stackabones

• Members

I saw an advanced screening of it here at Berklee because it was followed by a concert of Berklee kids and many of the musicians from the film playing it's music. I'm not really a movie person so if I hadn't had the opportunity to go see it for free, I probably wouldn't have seen it. That in mind, I thought the movie was fairly boring, the music was great.

jd-drafter is right, it is Kaki King doubling on the guitar stuff. But the most amazing music in the whole thing is the score by Mark Mancina (Twister and Tarzan were his other big ones). Probably my favorite score for film. http://www.markmancina.com/ is his website and you can listen to some of the music on it. Click on "perks" and some August Rush music plays in the background. He also has some cool instruments in "Favorite Instruments."

This is the main theme, I just found it: http://www.markmancina.com/media/August%20Rush/01%20Rhapsody%20No.%201%20in%20C%20Major.mp3 Extremely awesome.

Ellen

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Holy old post batman!

Well I remember someone mentioning it awhile ago and I finally got a chance to see it on-demand. Just set the proper expectations it is very far fetched fairy tale like story. To be honest if the music wasn't so good I probably wouldn't have liked it at all. I couldn't help but think that the story could have been done better. There was at least ten "roll your eyes moments" when either the cheese factor tipped the scale way past the ending of a Romantic Comedy into previously uncharted territory. They also pushed the protegy thing alot further then any person could believe. Outside of the soundtrack the story just isn't that great.

• Members

I thought the movie was fairly boring, the music was great......

Ellen

That was what I heard from a couple of people, so I didn't bother to make the trek to town to see it. Costs me more $ for gas to get to town than for admission to the dollar theater.

When it comes on TV sooner or later, I'll watch it, then might consider buying a soundtrack CD if I really like the music.

• Members

Saw it this weekend. Excellent movie. I recommend it highly.

Music is the motif, but faith and hope are the true themes.

Romantic, yes............reality show, NO

Essential to the enjoyment of theater and movies is "the willful suspension of disbelief".

Call it a fable.

Check your cynicism at the door.

Clif

• Members

Saw it this weekend. Excellent movie. I recommend it highly.

Music is the motif, but faith and hope are the true themes.

Romantic, yes............reality show, NO

Essential to the enjoyment of theater and movies is "the willful suspension of disbelief".

Call it a fable.

Check your cynicism at the door.

Clif

Thanks, Clif. It sounds like a film I'll really enjoy! :)

• Members

I think the movie is good if you approach it like is meant to be viewed: It is a fairy tale. If you come at it from that point, you will realize it is a good movie. The central theme of the movie is love. Music is the tool that the 12 year old boy uses to find it. Is it realistic? No. Is Cinderella or Snow White realistic? No.

You won't enjoy it if you focus on the fact that the kid essentially teaches himself how to play "tap and slap" style guitar over night.

There are some cool Gibsons in the movie (although, Kaki King plays all of her parts on an Ovation :eek:).

It would have made a great family movie if they cut out the one night stand at the beginning of the movie. There was nothing graphic about it, but it raised the rating to PG-13. I fast forwarded the first 10-15 minutes to skip that part and let my kids watch the rest of the movie with me. They loved it.

• Members

I think the movie is good if you approach it like is meant to be viewed: It is a fairy tale. If you come at it from that point, you will realize it is a good movie. The central theme of the movie is love. Music is the tool that the 12 year old boy uses to find it. Is it realistic? No. Is Cinderella or Snow White realistic? No.

You won't enjoy it if you focus on the fact that the kid essentially teaches himself how to play "tap and slap" style guitar over night.

There are some cool Gibsons in the movie (although, Kaki King plays all of her parts on an Ovation
:eek:
).

It would have made a great family movie if they cut out the one night stand at the beginning of the movie. There was nothing graphic about it, but it raised the rating to PG-13. I fast forwarded the first 10-15 minutes to skip that part and let my kids watch the rest of the movie with me. They loved it.

This is all very true. I knew nothing about the movie before watching it and wasn't ready for the fairytale like story telling. I was expecting something a little closer to true life.

• Members

Saw it this weekend. Excellent movie. I recommend it highly. Music is the motif, but faith and hope are the true themes. Romantic, yes............reality show, NO. Essential to the enjoyment of theater and movies is "the willful suspension of disbelief". Call it a fable. Check your cynicism at the door.

Clif

I can surely be cynical, but sometimes with movies it's more that I can easily see ways for the movie to have been more believeable--without the story losing any of its fable-ness or magic. But the movie-maker either wasn't creative enough to accomplish this, or simply didn't bother.

I think movie-makers owe this to their audiences. I cringe whenever I sense the absence of a good effort on the part of the movie-maker, and this movie was more and more cringe-worthy as it went on. The ending was patently ridiculous.

But I'm glad I saw it!

Archived