Played a Rondo SX DjangoBox!

Stackabones

• Members

A buddy of mine got one and let me check it out.

First ... the guitar is quite nice looking. Not a bright spruce color but a bit darker and mellower. Striking guitar imo.

I haven't had much experiences with the petite bouche SelMacs, so most of my comparison is based on what I know of my grande bouche Gitane D500.

It felt light as feather when I picked it up. Not sure of the actual weight, but it felt lighter than my Gitane.

The sound was different. This one has more focused midrange and a bit of an edge on the trebles. My Gitane has those qualities as well but with a bit more on the bottom end ... nothing like a dread, but it was noticeable.

The neck is a bit longer scale ... at least it felt so. No fret markers on the side of the neck, which I didn't like at all. Need those, thank you very much! Neck sounded in tune up the neck. Even with stock strings it sounded pretty punchy, though I'd be very curious to hear what it sounded like with some good Argie loop ends. The neck felt as wide as my Gitane. For some reason, I'd expected it to be narrower.

The bridge looked like it was one piece. My Gitane is two pieces. Don't know how this affects the sound, but in general my Gitane is still a cannon. The Gitane is the loudest guitar I've ever played ... don't know how the SX would hold up.

I just looked at the case from across the room. It looked very nice.

I've gotta say ... I've been thinking about a petite bouche, maybe the Cigano. But this guitar could do the trick. For an entry-level gypsy jazz guitar, this ain't that bad of deal at $200. Since it already has a case, it leaves a lot of room for adding a pup or other things.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to hear it against other guitars. Just played it by itself. Maybe I can talk the owner into letting me jam on it in a mixed guitar situation so that I can get a better sense of how it holds up?

• Members

My only concern would be getting it set up. Buying from Djangobooks you can get them to set it up nicely. Rondo doesn't have that option, and I'm not too sure about my ability to set up a Selmer correctly. I'm sure I could do a helfways decent job with just common sense and a general knowledge of guitar setups, but I'd rather get it professionally done.

I'd take it to a shop to get it set up, but the local guitar shops don't even know what the terms "Selmer", "Django Box", or "Gypsy Jazz" mean. I've asked. :p

• Members

My only concern would be getting it set up. Buying from Djangobooks you can get them to set it up nicely. Rondo doesn't have that option, and I'm not too sure about my ability to set up a Selmer correctly. I'm sure I could do a helfways decent job with just common sense and a general knowledge of guitar setups, but I'd rather get it professionally done.

I'd take it to a shop to get it set up, but the local guitar shops don't even know what the terms "Selmer", "Django Box", or "Gypsy Jazz" mean. I've asked.
:p

Those are solid points. But I have to say, I got my Gitane off ebay and haven't a clue whether or not it's been previously professionally set up in a gyspy jazz-certified manner. :idk: I like the way it plays as it is.

I've played four different kinds of SelMacs (Gitane--both grande bouche, SX, Patenotte, Collins) and not sure if one has been professionally set up -- well, probably the Collins. But I can't say that I noticed anything remarkably different about it -- though it was last summer and I was still getting my feet wet, so maybe that's a factor.

• Members

I played two Ciganos this WE. :o

Unlike those I played last week, these had proper domed tops and backs, and a quite impressive neck angle. Light as feathers... and sounded quite good. The petite bouche, in particular, having a very nice mid-range bark that's typical of the genre. And a pretty good volume. Not as complex as my luthier guitar, but very effective...

Now I'm tempted to buy one as a combat-guitar... :o

The D-hole was nice too (already owning an oval-hole, I was more curious about them), but in the end, did not have as much character as the petite bouche, IMO.

I'm also very curious about 14-fretters D-holes selmacs, but can't find any...

• Members

The SX sounds a lot like my Stagg, except that mine has a cedar top. Quite pretty for a budget git and is light as a feather.

I do agree with you about the lack of side markers being a downside. I need 'em too.

My setup was pretty good out of the box, but I think the action could stand a bit of lowering. Just a bit, mind you. I'm putting up with it, though. There's no way I'd attempt to set that one up because of the floating bridge and I haven't found a git tech in this town that I think is qualified to do it.

• Members

I'm pretty amazed that the rock and roll crowd hasn't discovered gypsy guitars. Hole moley, these things are perfect for shredding....not that I do any of that.....

I'm playing on a Gitane JJ DG300...had it for a couple of years. GREAT guitar, and it's easily always the loudest acoustic at the local jam.

I'm currently searching for an inexpensive grande bouche for pickup experimentation......

• Members

Hole moley, these things are perfect for shredding

Not sure about this... traditionally, gypsy jazz guitars have very thick necks, a very high action, and need a very heavy right hand technique to sound at their best... pretty much everything the average shredder hates.

:idk:

• Members

Not sure about this... traditionally, gypsy jazz guitars have very thick necks, a very high action, and need a very heavy right hand technique to sound at their best... pretty much everything the average shredder hates.

:idk:

True. But having higher tension on lower gauge strings (on an acoustic) can be inviting, IMO. Add in the fast playing of many gypsy jazz guys (which, honestly, doesn't sound as much like Django himself, to me...he was very tasteful), and I can see the appeal for shred guys.

But you're right...a lot of shredders play .08's with low action, and plant their wrist on the guitar and pivot from there. That's a world away from playing guitars with higher action, heavier strings and thicker picks. Plus, the rest-stroke technique isn't something you can learn over night. You can circular pick without a planted wrist (which is what I do) to get a more "authentic" gypsy attack, but even that takes a lot of getting used to.

• Members

Perhaps I used "shredder" in too broad a sense.

I use an 11-50 set on the 26.4" scale.... this is MUCH lighter than the typical flattop, although heavier than a couple of the gauges of copper wound strings recommended for these guitars. I also have the action set fairly medium....4/64" treble, 6/64" bass, on a very slightly underbowed neck.

So I would say you could easily use the 10-43 set on this long scale, and have it work. So...higher action and LIGHTER strings than the typical acoustic. I sure do think it would appeal to a wide range of "rockers".....

• Members

I think EvilTwin & OGP discovered that the Cordoba & the Aria were
if not the same?

After talking with OGP, I think they're definitely the same, but were not always.

The older pictures of the MM Series that I saw online showed them having a slightly "boxier" (for want of a better term) overall shape (especially in the lower bout), plus they didn't have any wood insert in the tailpiece.

Now they do have the inserts, and I think their shape is a little less "boxy" overall:

http://www.ariaguitars.com/int/03_products/pro_ag_mm_20.html

They cost more now, too...by about $70:

http://www.wwbw.com/Aria-MM-20-Petite-Bouche-Gypsy-Jazz-----Acoustic-Guitar-i250037.music

(Interestingly, that's the new price, but with an old picture.)

It seems like Aria changed factories (to the one Cordoba is also using) for these guitars, but a few retailers probably kept the original price for a bit. You don't usually find the Aria on Web sites like Musician's Friend, anymore (probably as an agreement between the companies).

Of course, I could be wrong...but the design quirks of the Cordoba and Aria guitars now are just too strong (it's not just shared woods or body shapes). I'd be shocked if they weren't made in the same factory.

• Members

Huh. The one I bought (and later sold on eBay) had side dots on the neck. It must've been a running change. It was an interesting guitar, but I didn't care for the tone. It was thin and lacked bottom end (like you said). It played pretty well out of the box though, and it had a nice punchy midrange.

• Members

I think EvilTwin & OGP discovered that the Cordoba & the Aria were
if not the same?

I noticed this too! I have the Cordoba, and it really has a great sound. Not bad for $300. I thought about trying the Aria, so I could have a D hole as well. Those are $200 and change new, right?

• Members

I noticed this too! I have the Cordoba, and it really has a great sound. Not bad for $300. I thought about trying the Aria, so I could have a D hole as well. Those are $200 and change new, right?

According to the link that EvilTwin put up, $270 -- but that's for the MM20, the petite bouche. The MM10 grande bouche I think is discontinued ... or at least hard to find in the US.

• Members

Damn I've been really needing to buy either the SX or Aria...the SX comes with the nice guitar case, which I need. But the Aria is on sale for 225$ CAN at my local music store...

So ... whatchagonnado, MrRoyle?

And what's this about "really needing to buy"? :cop:

GAS or a gig? :wave:

• Members

or does the aria sound better?

I have an Aria MM20 as was mentioned in a previous post. If you can find one you won't be disappointed. I love mine but oddly enough I use it with pretty low action and also fingerpick on it and it's great. I didn't really need to do anything setup wise to mine other than tweak the truss rod a tiny bit and it plays great. I did however try one at another shop a few months before and it had high action and I didn't really like playing it...it felt rather cheap compared to the one I bought. Maybe it was an older version from the other factory?

Here are two videos of both the SX/Stagg and Aria MM20 in action. :)

[YOUTUBE]oiL_FEKXl0s[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]HDpFIwYLhxc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

A buddy of mine got one and let me check it out.....The neck is a bit longer scale ... at least it felt so. No fret markers on the side of the neck, which I didn't like at all. Need those, thank you very much!

You could always paint them on.:)

I would start practicing with blindfold on...Whenever I want to get a song down, I go blindfolded. You would be surprised how quickly you learn where things are at by feel. And its kinda fun too...Also helps when you get around to singing and "reading" lyrics or buying a new guitar. Man I love the looks of a Gibson headstock...its damn near perfect.

Archived