Martin 000cx1 - Opinions?

liko

• Members

Currently my only acoustic is my "beater"; a $100 Takamine Jasmine. It's a fun little guitar with pretty good sound, but I'm getting good enough to see where they skimped (tuners, board and frets mostly), so I'm thinking my next purchase will be an acoustic guitar I can really grow into.

I went to a local GC and found a rather thin 000. It didn't look like much hanging on the wall, but when I took it down I noticed something rather odd; I play bass too, and have seen 3, 5 and even 7-piece necks, but this thing blew 'em all away; a veritable sub sandwich of mahogany strips. Apparently such a neck will never warp, without totally sacrificing tone.

I played it, and was very impressed by the feel; it was a very comfortable guitar, very smooth under the fingers, and had a pretty good sound. I prefer the bare-wood type feel of the satin finishes; lacquered instruments, even the expensive ones, look cheap to me. All that, and it was only $700 for the Fishman-equipped model, and it's a USA Martin; the sales guy and I both went over the instrument with a fine tooth comb for any mention of "assembled in Mexico" and couldn't find it, and the label in the soundhole stated "Made In USA" quite plainly.

The one thing I'm kind of dubious about is the unamped volume. I compared it to some higher-priced Martin 000s including a Clapton LE (the one where only 250 were made, personally signed by Clapton) and it doesn't hang with the big boys, but strum a G and it will fill the room. I didn't have the chance to A/B it against similarly-priced models.

Anyone else have any comments about these? They definitely seem a very solid, serviceable intermediate-level guitar, but I really need to know if it will make itself heard alongside two or even three other guitars without needing an amp. I didn't listen to it amped, but Fishman and LR Baggs are the two names I trust in piezos, and for a $200 upcharge over the non-piezo model it can't be a terrible system. It's just that at $700, you're starting to get into the realm where that instrument would be my go-to, and as such it better be something I cannot find fault with.

• Members

, but this thing blew 'em all away; a veritable sub sandwich of mahogany strips. Apparently such a neck will never warp, without totally sacrificing tone.

I have no experience with that particular guitar but I want to correct two miss statements here. First, the neck not mahogany unless is it is somehow a laminate of mahogany strips. On their web site Martin says the neck is "Rust Stratabond

• Members

Martin Guitar has long recognized the serious nature of the earth's dwindling resources and has focused attention on alternative materials. We are also committed to designing Martin guitars that are within reach of every aspiring guitarist. Martin's breakthrough X Series guitars were designed to meet both of these needs! The X Series guitars are constructed with a combination of highly compressed wood fibers (high-pressure laminate, abbreviated as HPL) and traditional tonewoods. Martin has found HPL to be an extremely durable and workable material. We have crafted ways to build traditional Martin shapes with HPL that yield incredibly long-lasting, affordable guitars. Most importantly, we've managed to build them so they possess the "famous" Martin sound and playability found in our more expensive guitars.

Features:

Model 000X1

Construction: Mortise/Tenon Neck Joint

Body Size: 000-14 Fret

Top: Solid Sitka Spruce

Rosette: Inlaid Boltaron W/ Red Fiber/ Multiple Black/White/Black

Top Bracing Pattern: 000-1 (A - Frame)

Top Braces: 000-1 (A - Frame)

Back Material: Mahogany Pattern Hpl Textured Finish

Back Purfling: None

Side Material: Mahogany Pattern Hpl Textured Finish

Endpiece: None

Endpiece Inlay: None

Binding: None

Top Inlay Style: None

Side Inlay: None

Back Inlay: None

Neck Material: Rust Stratabond

Neck Shape: Modified Low Oval

Nut Material: White Corian

Headstock: Solid/6 String No Diamond/Standard Taper

Headplate: Mahogany Pattern Hpl W/ Printed Logo /Raised Gold Foil Logo

Heelcap: None

Fingerboard Material: Morado

Scale Length: 25.4''

# Of Frets Clear: 14

# Of Frets Total: 20

Fingerboard Width At Nut: 1 11/16''

Fingerboard Width At 12th Fret: 2 1/8''

Fingerboard Position Inlays: None

Fingerboard Binding: None

Finish Back & Sides: None

Finish Top: Hand Rubbed Finish

Finish Neck: None

Bridge Material: Morado

Bridge Style: 1 Style Belly

Bridge String Spacing: 2 1/8''

Saddle: Compensated White Tusq

Tuning Machines: Chrome W/ Small Knobs

Recommended Strings: Martin Msp 4100 Light Phosphor Bronze

Bridge & End Pins: White W/ Black Dots

Pickguard: I-01 Tortoise Color

Case: None

Interior Label: Foil Label - 000x1 Solid Spruce Top

Electronics: Optional

Other Options: Available Left-Handed At No Additional Charge

Other Comments: All Prices & Specifications Are Subject To Change Without Notice.

I have never been a fan of the martin HPL back and sides, they take heat, pressure, glue, and sawdust to create them.

My friend actually had an x series, but it broke very shortly after she bought it.

But it was probably a lemon, If it sounds good to you then get it, but make sure you look at other non martin guitars.

for $700 you could get a epiphone masterbilt AJ-500re, and that is 10 times the guitar a martin x series is. (sorry)

But if it sings to you then by all means get it.

• Members

I really like the 000x1. By far, it is my favorite from the Martin X Series. Personally, in that price range I'd probably make a move on the aforementioned Epiphone Masterbilt or Larrivee but if you've played the Martin and you like it, that's worth more than my opinion.

You said you're worried about the unplugged volume. The Epiphone Masterbilt series has some of the loudest guitars I've ever played, but louder isn't always better. Most times it's better to have a midrangy tone to cut through a mix than to just be loud- being loud can sometimes do nothing but muddy up the sound. That said, as a Masterbilt owner, I take a lot of solace in knowing that my acoustic has a lot of "headroom," and if I wanted I could probably out-strum a lot of guitars.

Ellen

• Members

Definitely check out any of the Blueridge (X)3 or (XX)3 models -- the number 3 on the end of the model number denominates a OOO body style. Some have lam sides and back, the pricier ones are all solid. I A/B'd a 163 with the Martin Clapton model and apart from a slightly stronger low E on the Martin could not tell them apart.

Also try the Parkwood 320M, an OM size, very sweet and balanced tone, sold only at GC.

• Members

So the general consensus is in the $500-$700 range there are far better boxes out there. Fair enough.

I have tried Breedlove, and was fairly impressed, but the ones I was most impressed with were out of my reach. Parkwood had really good build quality but just didn't call to me sound-wise. I've heard older Yammies are good, but what I've played of their new models leaves a bit to be desired. And I am quite simply not an Ovation guy, regardless of how much other people like them.

I don't have much experience with L'Arrivee; I'll have to keep an eye out. I've heard they're excellent guitars; a guy who was A/Bing amps while I was checking out the Martin certainly held them in high regard. Never seen a Blue Ridge, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of those.

• Members

I can see where you'd think that the tone would fill a room, but I recently tried one and didn't care for it. For starters, it weighs a TON and compared to other Martins, the tone is not that good. Shop around. There have already been some good suggestions with Epiphone Masterbilt, Larrivee and even Martin 15 and 16 series.

Archived