A Busking Article

daklander

• Members

pretty sure it has been posted here before.

the writer, gene weingarten, just won the pulitzer prize for feature writing on monday for that very story. many readers were strangely moved by it and the questions it posed, most notably, what is art? what would happen if you took a rembrandt or picasso and hung it in a starbucks? would anyone notice, or is context everything?

• Members

He had a groupie too! But then, he's a babe so it's to be expected.

There were some fascinating threads about it. That article came out in the Sunday Post a year ago today. People had all day Sunday to ruminate and by Monday AM they were raring to chat (anything to avoid workin'!)

I think the most recent sighting here was a mention by Freeman(?) just a couple of weeks back. But that's an IIRC.

• Members

I've seen the article here before, but never had the time to read all of it. Work is slow today, so I just read it all the way through. Thanks. :D

My morning busking experience: I take the train to Amsterdam everyday. Outside of the station, there's always this group of gypsies, playing there all day long. Not that I'm comparing them to mr. Bell, but some of them can really play, especially this one clarinet player, who I've regularly paused to listen to (and yeah, this is rare, I've only seen one other person pause to listen to the music in the past few months). This morning, the same guy was being bullied away by a couple of police officers. This while the @ssholes handing out the stupid free newspapers with lots of adverts - the ones that are really bothering people by standing right in the middle of busy pedestrian crossing and making smart-arse remarks to girls who are passing by - were being left alone. This is what's wrong with society today. :mad:

Sorry for the rant. :o

• Members

Just read and watched...1st time....Wonderful and sad.
It didn't surprise me that no one noticed the violin, or better put, no one took the time to "smell the roses". It's always been that way. But what did surprise me was how few people (in Washington) never recognized the artist or the music....kinda sad.

So close to home.

My son started his life (age 4) on the piano. He became really good. He spent the next 14 years playing Bach, Mozart, Rochmaninoff, finally falling in love with the French composers. He went to NewYork at 18 and then something happened. For the first time in his life he heard someone his age equally as good if not a little better trained. It really bothered him. He also was fighting with home sickness and a lost girlfriend. He decided to come home and finish school in Illinois. He continued to play, but then life got in the way. He too, decided he wasn't good enough for concert performance. He used to practice 6 hours a day at home and then more daily at the conservatory at UOC. Now he only plays when he can steal time on a piano somewhere. He is now 27 and an art director for a company in Oregon. He loves his art, but he is saving up for that grand piano he sold moving to Oregon.

I wonder, how many of us fall under this catagory. I was going to be a Rock Star, and needless to say...that didn't happen. But here I am at 56, almost 57and I play my heart out more than I used to when all I did was play the guitar. I connect much better with the music. Probably years of listening and developing an ear to what I like and whats new to my ear.

Yet the music I long for is rooted in my sons recitals and the endless practicing at home. There's just something about classical music that embodies the soul, and especially coming from someone you love.

I guess its pretty obvious I miss my son.

Archived