"Short Scale" Acoustics- whose got em' and where can I get mine?

valentsgrif

• Members

I'm convinced I need to play 24 3/4" to 24.95" scale length necks.

I know about the Gibby J-45, but who else makes a nice North American made acoustic in this neck size? NO parlor or travel gits please.

I primarily play w a pick but do some fingerwork also.

• Members

There are also the Gibson square shoulder dreads: the Hummingbird and Sheryl Crow. If you don't need a dread many of the Martin 000 are short scale . . .

Here is the info on which 000's are from the UMGF FAQ

OM. All OMs are long scale, 25.4" nut to saddle.

12-fret 000. All 12-fret 000s are long scale (since approximately 1924) except for the Norman Blake models, which are short scale. These models are an exception to the rule, perhaps because they combine a 12-fret neck with a 14-fret 000 size body and are thus one-of-a-kind design models.

14-fret 000:

a. All 000s in the 16 Series and below are long scale.

b. All 000s in the Standard and Vintage Series are short scale, 24.9" nut to saddle.

c. 000s in the Limited and Special Editions vary by model. Most, but not all, are short scale.

My D12-28 is short scale (as is my home made 12 string) and my little 0 parlor is really short (24.4)

• Members

Blueridge has a slope-shoulder dread line designed to mimic the J-45 guitars; they're 24.75"

Johnson makes a Martin 000-28EC knockoff that's 24.9"

Of course there always the real Gibsons and Martins that are short-scale. Gibson has more of them: J-45, J-185, Hummingbird, etc.

• Members

sorry to steal this thread but what does the short scale do for tone, sound and the like?

From the same UMGF FAQ quoted above

"As far as tone etc. goes, this subject is of course very subjective. This is a bit of an overgeneralizaiton, but many folks think that the OM has more volume and projection due to the longer scale length, and the 000 has a "Blusier" sound and is easier to play."

• Members

Taylor Grand Concerts (any acoustic-electric "12" bodies or acoustic "GC"s) are now all shorties. I've got a GC5 and it was exactly the scale my fingers were looking for. 24-7/8.

This is news to me. I'm going to check em out.

Thanks everybody.

• Members

I have a Recording King RO-227 for sale on the Acoustic Guitar Forum and the Unofficial Blueridge Guitar Forum. It has a 24.9" Scale Length. You might check it out if you're interested. It's a little more affordable than some of the others mentioned.

• Members

Godin's guitars (Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman and Art & Lutherie) are all 24.84" scale and most have a nut width of 1.72" with the exception of Seagull.

I have a Norman ST68 Dread (solid spruce top, solid Indian rosewood back, lam rosewood sides) and a Simon & Patrick Songsmith Folk (solid spruce top, lam cherry back and sides).

I love both gits. Very easy to play after lowering the saddles.

Bill

Archived