My coworker made my day today!

Misha

• Members

As I do often, I brought my new Songsmith with me at work, today.

During my lunch hour I decided to go play in the garage because I didn't want to disturb my colleague. She still had things to do and I didn't want to get her mad.

When I came back she told me: "I really don't understand why you didn't stay here to play!" :)

I just told her that I didn't want to bother her. I am crazy or was there a bit of deception in her?

The person with who I was working last week told me the same thing!

(I admit that) I like the feeling! :cool:

Now --> it's time to go practice a little bit (If I want to be/feel ready to play in front of people someday!) :idea:

• Members

It motivates me to learn new songs!

They don't care if I play difficult songs or easy songs, they just want to hear complete songs! It helps me learn entire songs instead of just the beginning. I'm not very good so I often simplify the harder parts of songs to be able to play them entirely.

Someone told me (LittleBrother from APM) that if I could play entire songs I would be better than (I think it was something around) 75% of people who once decided to try to play guitar. He said that most people quit or learn only parts of songs.

• Members

Just don't play the same song ten times in a row while you're learning it. :)

I've had that experience too, from a downstairs apartment neighbor. He was a player also, so we jammed a couple times. In my current place I suspect my neighbor can hear me somewhat, so I try to mix in established songs with the practice.

• Members

I hear you Scodiddly!

I suspect that my neighbors hear me too. I pay attention to them too!

That is why at work I go in the garage because I know that people don't always know that it takes a lot of repetitions before I can play a song relatively well.

When other people are present, I play the songs that I know, I don't "practice".

• Members

It motivates me to learn new songs!

They don't care if I play difficult songs or easy songs, they just want to hear complete songs! It helps me learn entire songs instead of just the beginning. I'm not very good so I often simplify the harder parts of songs to be able to play them entirely.

Someone told me (LittleBrother from APM) that if I could play entire songs I would be better than (I think it was something around) 75% of people who once decided to try to play guitar. He said that most people quit or learn only parts of songs.

So true, my instructor gives me whole songs, albeit some are arranged by him to fit my level of noobness.

I love it because I am learning a universal language too. I now know what the following terms mean on sheet a of music: coda, bridge, 4/4, 3/4, :, D.S. al Coda, formata, and a bunch more terms and symbols. And, I understand why they are there.

So much more fun to play a whole song.

• Members

I think you are very considerate of your co-workers. I would have done the same thing in your situation. Aside from trying to be considerate of others, I am still rather shy about my playing these days, so the majority of it is still done in private.

I think they would enjoy hearing you play and would encourage you, whether you play whole songs or are just practicing bits and pieces. The sound of a guitar quietly played is sweet and soothing to me, even when a hesitant beginner is learning his/her first chords, learning how to fingerpick, or whatever.

• Members

I work with a bunch of good folks!

I'm lucky, the ambience at work is very good!

I think that they appreciate the effort that I has to be done to learn riffs and songs. The sound of the guitar also helps them to decompress.

• Members

I work with a bunch of good folks!

I'm lucky, the ambience at work is very good!

I think that they appreciate the effort that I has to be done to learn riffs and songs. The sound of the guitar also helps them to decompress.

Yes, you are indeed lucky. I have no such ambience in my career and I think it is only the guitar and copious amounts of beer that save me from total meltdown.

• Members

I remember a time I lived in a small apartment complex. I was very self-conscious about playing too loud, mainly because I was writing stuff, so I was playing parts over and over. This was on a nylon string guitar, so I felt I could play softly in the evenings and hopefully not distrub the neighbors.

So, one day I met the upstairs guy and he says to me, "We sure enjoy your music."

"Um, I'm always worried I'm disturbing you."

"Oh no. Sometimes we'll gather the kids, turn out the lights and just sit and listen."

:eek:

Needless to say, from then on I saved my playing for the weekends. The image in my head of the upstairs family with their ears to the floor made me far too self-conscious to continue playing in the evenings.

• Members
I remember a time I lived in a small apartment complex. I was very self-conscious about playing too loud, mainly because I was writing stuff, so I was playing parts over and over. This was on a nylon string guitar, so I felt I could play softly in the evenings and hopefully not distrub the neighbors.

So, one day I met the upstairs guy and he says to me, "We sure enjoy your music."

"Um, I'm always worried I'm disturbing you."

"Oh no. Sometimes we'll gather the kids, turn out the lights and just sit and listen."

:eek:

Needless to say, from then on I saved my playing for the weekends. The image in my head of the upstairs family with their ears to the floor made me far too self-conscious to continue playing in the evenings.

Nice. Far better to be playing for them than having a domestic dispute (or other domestic activities that they might have to explain to the kids)

• Members

Nice. Far better to be playing for them than having a domestic dispute (or other domestic activities that they might have to explain to the kids)

No kidding - I had an apartment once where a couple times there were pretty serious domestic violence incidents in the upstairs apartment. I called the cops because of how scary it sounded.

• Members

I have called the cops on neighbors for beating the hell out of each other, which no amount of music could soothe. Alcoholics with an adult son who was a schizophrenic. All crammed into a bachelor apartment next to mine.

But that upstairs couple and their three kids (in a two bedroom apartment) were like model citizens. More of those, please.

• Members

Currently in a college dorm, there always seems to be an audience.

Luckily if i point myself at the right wall, my neighbors there are really into my music. Otherwise I keep it at a lower volume but everyone hears anyhow and I haven't had that many complaints except for the need for sleep.

Also, one of my classes this semester involved learning some old time fiddle. So at the first part, I was sucking a lot and very worried someone was going to come over and smash the thing. Recently it has become quite a bit more musical and I don't feel as bad. Also recently when my banjo player for the newly formed string band was over practicing we got a request for "something fast" so someone outside my window could clog:lol: It was good to hear.

Archived