anyone here use a 12 string for slide?

jjpistols

• Members

I actually built my OM 12 intending to play slide on it - my Martin 12 isn't too well balanced. but the OM is There is a clip of it playing the great Kottke song Sailors Grave at the Annex, it is in open F (G down two steps). I also play in regular open C as well as open D down two (which I guess is another open C, eh?). Kottke also does the solo of Louise in dropped D with a slide, I haven't figured that out so I fret it.

A 12 is actually a very good slide git because of the wide flat fretboard. The action on mine are typical fingerstyle (pretty low) but I did a little trick with the nut and made the TOPs of the strings level so there isn't as much noise in the lower frets. I use mediums for and always downtune, and I've spent a lot of time compensating each string of each course. Along with Leo (who I saw last month and actually played no 12 string slide this time), another incredible 12 string slide player is Paul Geremia - you can hear some clips of him at the Fraulini guitar site. And TAH ain't bad either, LOL

Archived