Electronics in a Vintage Guitar

SkySeven

• Members

Hey all,

I just transitioned from my Taylor 614ce to a '68 Gibson J-45, and I was wondering what you all would recommend regarding live performance.

1. Would installing electronics kill the resale value of my guitar? If not, any recommendation?

2. What's the deal with sound hole pickups? I never see people using them - are they lame? If not, any recommendations?

3. Should I just mic it? I feel like this would be unreliable.

Thanks for all your help!

• Members

Hey all,

I just transitioned from my Taylor 614ce to a '68 Gibson J-45, and I was wondering what you all would recommend regarding live performance.

1. Would installing electronics kill the resale value of my guitar? If not, any recommendation?

2. What's the deal with sound hole pickups? I never see people using them - are they lame? If not, any recommendations?

3. Should I just mic it? I feel like this would be unreliable.

Thanks for all your help!

Personally I wouldn't do anything to an older guitar which was not reversible.

Under-saddle transducers all sound fairly generic to me and you could try something from Fishman for the soundhole; if you couple that with their Aura system you'll get very realistic acoustic tones. In an ideal world mic'ing is the best but is, as you know, fraught with issues.

Check their website for demos.

• Members

There are some fairly non-intrusive pickup systems out there. I wouldn't install anything that involved cutting holes in the guitar for installation. Are you playing on using this guitar to play out with?

Mics are fine for recording if you spend the time finding the sweet spot and have a decent mic. They could be hellish during a live show though. Feedback issues, background noise, and the movement of your body can all greatly effect the sound.

• Members

I've tossed around the same question about my 1964 Epiphone Eldorado dreadnaught....the guitar is in incredible condition and I've already made a couple of totally reversible alterations to it....the adjustable saddle has been replaced with one carved out of Corian and the tuners have been replaced with Kluson Delux tuners with large white buttons....these were done without altering the guitar in any way and I kept the original parts....I've been thinking of the K&K unit that super glues 3 pick ups to the bridge plate....this would require some type of "exit hole" in the body of the guitar.....perhaps a mini connector could be located in the strap button.....

• Members

Installing a passive UST or SBT to a strap-pin jack really doesn't seem to affect the guitar's value, but DEFINITELY use an outboard preamp...cutting a barndoor into the side would just be a sacrelige! :eek:

Kap'n suggestion is good, too, although the cable it uses (a 1/8" mini-stereo or mini-mono instead of a regular 1/4" cable) is a bit of a hassle...you'd want to carry a spare cable at all times!

Or you could go with one of the better soundhole P/Us and run the cable out the soundhole, like Lyle Lovett does.

LyleLovett.jpg

• Members

I'm with MrMoe on this one...get rid of that adj bridge...ouch!

As far as electronics go, if your gigin just by yourself, I would only use a mic on it...it has pleny of umpph on its own. Take a look at what was done 30-40 years ago...mics worked pretty good then...

For pure convienence...use a Baggs....

Thats a 40 year old J45 you're talking about....don't drill on that guitar or I'll have Breedlover pay you a visit!

• Members

Yeah... I've made some sort of pact to not desecrate guitars that are older than me. :-P

Thanks for the comment about the Baggs. I might go that route.

I'm really just doing open mics, etc, so this really is mostly about convenience.

edit: For clarification: are strap-pin jacks are okay? How invasive of a procedure is it to do that to a guitar?

• Members

Yeah... I've made some sort of pact to not desecrate guitars that are older than me. :-P

I'm really just doing open mics, etc, so this really is mostly about convenience.

edit: For clarification: are strap-pin jacks are okay? How invasive of a procedure is it to do that to a guitar?

most of them require you to drill a hole in your saddle to run a wire to connect the under the saddle pickup. Some like the K&K have triggers you just stick/glue to the soundboard no drilling required.

• Members

There is one out that takes minimal drilling. It fits the existing taper and uses a 1/8" connector.

Click the pic....

vintage%20jack%20with%20endpin%20sand.jp

• Members

i have a 73 gibson southern jumbo deluxe that i (well, not i but a professional) put a k&k pure western pick up in with a strap button jack in, and you cant even tell unless you know to look for it. mine is the regular size jack, which required drilling a larger hole, but i think it was justified for the convenience, and its a more sturdy spot than putting a second hole in the side somewhere. the guy that did the work is totally anal about stuff like that on vintage instruments and he recommended it to me. i think its worth it.

Archived