acoustic pickup installation

chemten

• Members

so i've been looking at getting a pickup for my yamaha fg300s. i have liked the sound of the fishman infinity, but i am a little weary of buying a pickup that is almost the price of the guitar itself. now, if i do get one of those for this guitar, will it be difficult in the future to get it uninstalled and reinstalled in my next acoustic?

anyone have any other recommendations for pickups in the fg300s or something that is a good buy for future guitars as well?

• Members

Removing a UST is pretty delicate work, so you must be very careful if you're going to change it out...after being under the pressure of a set of strings, the UST becomes fragile.

I'd just buy another one when you change guitars...Artec (and some other manufacturers) sells an excellent UST (the PP607) very reasonably ($15 or thereabouts)...I've installed several Artecs and they sound great.

• Members

Removing a UST is pretty delicate work, so you must be
very
careful if you're going to change it out...after being under the pressure of a set of strings, the UST becomes fragile.

I'd just buy another one when you change guitars...Artech (and some other manufacturers) sells an excellent UST very reasonably ($25 or threabouts)...

+1 :thu:

• Members

I prefer K&K mini Pure Western (mounts on the bridge-plate under the top) to USTs for less quack, but not easily removed to another guitar unless you use their dbl-sided tape which is not recommended.

Not difficult to install and available for about $65 delivered on eBay right from the manufacturer from kksound-seconds.

(I have installed three of these)

Here's a link

• Members

I prefer K&K mini Pure Western (mounts on the bridge-plate under the top) to USTs for less quack, but not easily removed to another guitar unless you use their dbl-sided tape which is not recommended.

Not difficult to install and available for about $65 delivered on eBay right from the manufacturer from kksound-seconds.

(I have installed three of these)

I have heard conflicting reports on the KK pure mini western. All say it sounds great, but some say there are feedback issues, others say no. Whats your experience??

• Members

I have experienced some feedback with these guitars with K&Ks in them, but it hasn't been a serious problem for me, following the usual and ordinary precautions (keep the volume & reverb at respectable levels, and don't point your guitar at your amplifier unless you intend to shoot it)

• Members

Removing a UST is pretty delicate work, so you must be
very
careful if you're going to change it out...after being under the pressure of a set of strings, the UST becomes fragile. . . .

Oops! Sorry, I forgot my Shadow isn't like other pickups. Due to the way it's made, it's about as fragile as a nail and I wouldn't hesitate to transfer it to another guitar. Apparently other brands are less likely to survive the experience.

Archived