How are the carvin acoustics "colbalt"

fuzzylogic220

• Members

I am getting intrested in the C980T Jumbo from carvin....... anyone have any expirence with these.... the reviews seem to be "i love this thing...it sounds as good or better than my taylor"..... and "this thing is crap, sounds nothing like a taylor, very thin sounding" ........so i dont really know what to think. I wouldnt expect it to sound like a taylor......because with my expirence with taylor they are VERY hit an miss..... one will be great and the other one will be under par.

They say they are made overseas.....so im guessing china right.....i already have one chineese made acoustic and its. "ok" nothing to brag about....... So tell me what you think about them.

• Members

A singer songwriter friend has one and I got to play it one night in a slightly noisy room so take this with two grains of salt.

First, it seems to be a perfect git for plugged in gigging - he uses a small acoustic amp and it sounds pretty good strummed with a pick. If felt it was a little anemic unplugged played fingerstyle with flesh and nails - I really expected a little more punch from a jumbo.

It is a very nicely finished guitar - solid spruce top over laminated rosewood. A fairly thick finish, but flawless, with abalone rosette and purfling. The neck is very slim and fast - had a "taylor" feel to it altho I'm pretty sure the nut is 1-11/16 (felt that way at least). The p/u seemed fine - I am not a fan of barn door electronics (I don't need any electronics, but I hate to see a big hole cut in the side).

Now the good/bad news. Of course you can't play one to try out, you have to buy it, then pay shipping back if you don't like it. When my friend's arrived the setup was almost unplayable (I didn't see it but he took it to a local vintage Martin shop who verified its condition). He sent it back and they replaced it - the second one had a very sweet low buzz free setup - again, perfect for my kind of fingerstyle.

Carvin's electric guitar background shows in this one, I was favorably impressed and think that if you wanted it for plugged in gigging it is a good choice. (somewhere I had a picture of me playing it but I can't find it) Let us know what you decide.

• Members

It's been a few years since I played any of the Cobalt. I found the cheaper line to sound and play the best. Other folks like them and they seem to be consistent in construction.

Cort builds them so it might be worth a test drive of their similar models.

Carvin's customer service, though never stellar, seems to have really gone in the toilet and though they have a return policy in place there are better policies available. If you do purchase a Cobalt via mail order and it's defective you'll have to pay for another one if you want it replaced. You will also have to pay shipping. Not such a deal.

If you live close enough to one of their outlets or the factory in Rancho Bernardo they would certainly be worth a shot but I've become really leery of their mail order practices.

Just so you know, I am a Carvin product user and have been for quite a number of years. I've owned an electric guitar from them, my PA system is a Carvin and I've purchased a number of mics, cables, stands and other items from them.

• Members

+1 to what daklander said. The Ibanez Artwood series is very similar to the Carvin Cobalt line and also made by Cort, plus they tend to be less expensive. Unfortunately, the Artwood line doesn't include many jumbos. Find an Artwood and play it and that should give you a very rough idea as to whether you'd like a Cobalt.

Archived