Have any of you ever tried this?

HankGator

• Members

Haven't tried that but was reading (maybe on here or other forum) where they suggested taking a good grade sponge, soak it, sqeeze is to where there is no dripping water, put it inside of a plastic baggy that you have punched a few holes in using a hand paper punch like you had in school.

• Members

The method in the vid does indeed work, as does the damp sponge and holy bag in case and many other methods work too.

My personal favourite is to use a pill bottle with damp sponge inside and holes drilled into the lid. Virtually leak proof and re-usable. :thu:

• Members

I certainly like the safety aspects of using the sponge, but aren't we talking about significantly less moisture being transmitted that way compared to an open bowl of water? Would that be enough to undo a hump in the neck, you think?

• Members

I certainly like the safety aspects of using the sponge, but aren't we talking about significantly less moisture being transmitted that way compared to an open bowl of water? Would that be enough to undo a hump in the neck, you think?

Slow transmission of moisture by using a smaller container is far better for the guitar and a little more controlled than using an open bowl of water. Sudden rises or drops in humidity can spell danger in terms of solid timbered instruments. The pill bottle/sponge bag method is best used during dry periods, or at times when extra humidity is necessary. Both guitar and sponge are best kept inside a hardcase where humidity is far easier to control and kids are least likely to trample or trip upon your treasured instrument.

Humidity control can both prevent and cure a number of instances involving dipped fingerboards and problems with soundboards where the cause was too little humidity during storage.

• Members

The bowl of water has a very finite surface area for water evaporation. A sponge has a multi folded surface area which is significantly larger than the surface of the water in the bowl. The amount of area available for evaporation will determine how rapidly the internal humidity gets to 100%. Beyond the rate at which 100% is achieved there is no difference in the method used, as long as it allows for attaining 100%.

In any event - Thanks Hank for sharing! I will keep that little gem in my mental bag of tricks for when it is needed.

• Members

The bowl of water has a very finite surface area for water evaporation. A sponge has a multi folded surface area which is significantly larger than the surface of the water in the bowl. The amount of area available for evaporation will determine how rapidly the internal humidity gets to 100%. Beyond the rate at which 100% is achieved there is no difference in the method used, as long as it allows for attaining 100%.

In any event - Thanks Hank for sharing! I will keep that little gem in my mental bag of tricks for when it is needed.

The bag with a sponge has maybe 6-8 1/4" holes punched in it with the end of the bag sealed. Doesn't this make it finite as well?

A bowl he used had at least a 2" or greater surface area of evaporation which makes it much less finite than the 6 small holes punched in a bag.

Can't see your observation as being valid

• Members

the air in guitar attains 100% humidity. Makes no difference if the guitar is suspended over the surface of the ocean or has a small sponge inside. 100% is as far as it can go.

The caveat I included is "as long as it allows for attaining 100%". A plastic bag with insufficient holes to allow for attaining 100% would be the exception.

It may seem counterintuitive, but 100% is 100%, the air does not care what method gets it there, or how much water is in reserve.

• Members

I was less concerned about the rate of evaporation than the amount of water available for evaporation, since if you drain the sponge until it no longer drips it would seem you wouldn't have as much moisture available and it would dry out relatively quickly compared to a bowl.

That said, I would prefer the sponge method.

• Members

the air in guitar attains 100% humidity. Makes no difference if the guitar is suspended over the surface of the ocean or has a small sponge inside. 100% is as far as it can go.

The caveat I included is "as long as it allows for attaining 100%". A plastic bag with insufficient holes to allow for attaining 100% would be the exception.

It may seem counterintuitive, but 100% is 100%, the air does not care what method gets it there, or how much water is in reserve.

Thanks totamus, I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were saying the sponge would allow too much moisture as compared to the cup.

I understand your intent now.

• Members

Actually, that's a pretty aggressive may of treating an under-humidified guitar. If this guy seriously have a 1969 Gibson Hummingbird he'd know that.

I'm glad it worked for him, but frankly I'd have thought twice about putting an open container inside a $2000+ box. 2 or 3 dampits over a week or two would have worked just as well. That's what they did on that tutorial over at the Taylor web site - but that was a cracked top, not for what this guy's issue was.

• Members

Actually, that's a pretty aggressive may of treating an under-humidified guitar. If this guy seriously have a 1969 Gibson Hummingbird he'd know that.

I'm glad it worked for him, but frankly I'd have thought twice about putting an open container inside a $2000+ box. 2 or 3 dampits over a week or two would have worked just as well. That's what they did on that tutorial over at the Taylor web site - but that was a cracked top, not for what this guy's issue was.

I cringed at the thought of doing that to an expensive Gibson like that.

aggressive I agree

Archived