Why are vintage acoustics less valuable.?

wu ming

• Members

Could it be that simple.? you are probably right.

at least it makes these guitars slightly more attainable
:lol:

i think were both not that far off the mark.

a huge lot of kids out there (past and present) dream to be rock stars, not concert hall maestros. and some of those kids (mainly japanese geeks) actually grew up to be billionaires and started buying up all the 50's LPs and strats. nothing complements their balding patch like their eternal dreams to be wild and free as materialised by the iconic, culturally significant axes :love:

• Members

The playability of vintage acoustics is a large factor, as intonation/action such are much harder to maintain. Also, the electric guitar is a much more iconic instrument than the acoustic guitar, being associated with the visual presence of some pretty influential cultural figures.

• Members

A Fender Strat is iconic and very desirable by a large number of people

And alot of people (like me) have no idea about the Nylon that you're speaking of.

Vintage 1930s Martins (Dreads and OMs) command $50,000+ like Larry50 said.

• Members

I would never pay that sort of money for any guitar. Guitars are for playing and you can buy one that will sound and play just as well or better for much less.

So it all comes down to how much you are willing to pay for a novelty or investment and that is up to the buyer.

PS. If I was going to spend

• Members

I haven't seen any 30's era Martins (if in reasonable shape) for less than mid-5 figures.

Check out the prices on Super 400's, Lloyd Loar L-5's, Strombergs, D'Angelicos...

If you want to see big $ in an acoustic instrument, check out the price on a Lloyd Loar F-5 mandolin sometime.

• Members

Check out the prices on Super 400's, Lloyd Loar L-5's, Strombergs, D'Angelicos...

If you want to see big $ in an acoustic instrument, check out the price on a Lloyd Loar F-5 mandolin sometime.

If you got a few million laying around, you might be able to acquire a nice violin. This is interesting:

"...Stradivari set up his own shop in 1680 in the town of Cremona, Italy, as a "luthier" - or maker of stringed instruments. We tend to think of Stradivari as being a maker of violins, but he also created cellos, violas, guitars, mandolins, and there is even one extant example of a small harp (he is said to have made three).

His earlier instruments (made from 1680 to 1700) are thought to be inferior to his later pieces, and the so-called "Golden Age" of Stradivari-made stringed instruments is said to be from 1700 to 1720 (he died on Dec. 18, 1737). Stradivari used spruce, willow, and maple to make his pieces and he treated the wood with a variety of minerals including "bianca," which is a varnish composed of egg white, gum Arabic, and honey."

"In 2006, a Stradivarius (the Latinized form of Stradivari's surname) known as "The Hammer," which was made in 1707, sold at auction for $3,544,000. It is reported that other Stradivarius instruments have sold privately for more."

How sweet would it be to have a "Stradivari" Guitar?

• Members

Perhaps you could mix up some egg white, gum arabic and honey and apply it to cheap imported guitars. "Finish science" or something like that. You might not get $3 million for them but you might get $500.

• Members

....when I was a kid and learning to play guitar, it was pre-war Martins that that had the BIG volume and tone....they were very expensive and we saw very few....I now realize that it was their age, not (entirely) manufacturing magic that made them special....something very magic happens to a guitar when it gets to be 30 years old....I have an Epiphone Eldorado (dreadnaught) built in 1964 and a G-70 Gallagher built in 1972....the Epiphone is the loudest, nicest sounding Gibson built guitar that you could possibly imagine and the Gallagher is the equal to any pre-war d-18 or 28 that I have ever played - especially in volume!.....mid-60's to early 70's guitars are the "pre-war" instruments of today.....if you're looking for maximum volume and tone, you need go backward no further...

• Members

Like this?:

The only other Stradivari guitar to survive is in the Ashmolean Museum - I'll see if I can track down a pic.

I would very much like a Baroque guitar.

How did one buy guitar strings back then?

Can you imagine Mozart picking one of those up a few years later?

• Members

How did one buy guitar strings back then?

I suppose that one went to the string maker and parted with some cash just as one does today. I know that Mari (who are now known as La Bella) were making strings for Stradivari and others:

http://labella.com/history.html

Can you imagine Mozart picking one of those up a few years later?

Wow, yes - wouldn't a Mozart guitar concerto be something? Unfortunately, TTBOMK, he didn't write anything for the guitar (or lute).

Archived