Anyone had the chance to play a Recording King?

jerime

• Members

If I remember my research correctly the name "Recording King" was used in the old days as a cheap line of Gibson. This was before the Gibson acquisition of Epiphone. The old Recording Kings were nice guitars as far as the new Asian line using the same name I haven't got a clue.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I'd play one if there were any available nearby--according to the Recording King website, the two nearest dealers are about a two-hour drive away (one to the north, one to the south).

I actually bid on a used one on ebay yesterday. Didn't win. I'd like to give one a try--I've read very positive things.

• Members
I always tell people to give these guitars a try, and the people who do are always impressed; especially because they are made in China. I have an RD-127 and I effing love it, so solidly built and the projection is amazing.
:thu:

Yo, Spammer.....

Guess what? Spam sux.:cop:

Got shoes? We need shoes.

• Members

I played one today at the local guitar shop. I was fairly impressed. Very similar to the Johnson Carolina series.

They come off the same assembly line as the Carolinas. In fact, the Carolina series will be discontinued under Johnson be re-badged as Recording Kings.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I have owned Johnsons, and now Recording Kings.
Solid body Johnsons- I had two- really lacked in some sound dynamics. Just my personal opinion. Maybe the manufacturing process was a bit off. Just the JD series, the 26 and 27.
All of my RK's sound just way better, though I have two rd-27s, and they sound quite different. One has no pickguard, and it has more bass, by a lot. But, I have extensively played a Johnson JO-27, and the sound is really fantastic. I can't imagine what these will sound like in 20 years.

• Members

Greg Rich, who designed the Johnson Carolina II's confirmed that they were rebadged into Recording Kings. Makes sense. Customers probably feel awkward when talking about playing with their "Johnson".

This week, I played a Johnson Carolina II JO-27 (closeout price of $300) against a Recording King RO-27 ($520) at Eric Schoenberg's shop in Tiburon. Then my friend played both of them. Then a teacher/professional played both of them. None of us perceived a difference.

But there was a difference in the price and the Johnson Carolina II had better-looking woods. Eric himself said that the Johnson Carolinas (the batch after they fixed the bellying problems) were better-made. Maybe it was sales talk but Eric isn't exactly known in the community as an aggressive salesperson. After all, he could have said that the Recording Kings were better-made.

• Members

My Johnson JO-27 - which is basically a clone of a Martin 000-28EC at 1/5th the price - is an amazing sounding and playing guitar. Certainly not the cosmetic equivalent of a 000-28EC, but I wouldn't want to live on the difference in sound and playability between the two. I'd certainly expect the Martin to age better, because of the thinner, nitro (vs. poly) finish, but the JO-27 is a very worthy guitar.

• Members

If I remember my research correctly the name "Recording King" was used in the old days as a cheap line of Gibson. This was before the Gibson acquisition of Epiphone. The old Recording Kings were nice guitars as far as the new Asian line using the same name I haven't got a clue.

It was Montgomery Ward's house brand for musical instruments. The RK banjos have a good reputation. While banjo making and acoustic guitar making aren't even remotely similar crafts, the people at RK seem to have a knack for importing good products. No reason to think the guitars wouldn't be just fine.

• Members

I too have a Johnson JO 27 and rate it very highly, not only for the price, but also for its musicality in general.

Only problem is I reckon I'm going to need to replace the tuners. Any other owners(DonK?) or knowledgeable folks have ideas as to what would make a suitable direct swap?

• Members

Only problem is I reckon I'm going to need to replace the tuners. Any other owners(DonK?) or knowledgeable folks have ideas as to what would make a suitable direct swap?

I had read somewhere that Gotoh makes a set of open tuners (also with butterbean knobs) that would fit. You might have to do some refinishing on the back though.

I recently purchased a JO-27. It was one of the last ones that Eric Schoenberg had acquired before TML decided to rebadge them into Recording Kings. At $295, it was the most outstanding value in his shop and, on tone alone, compared very favorably to more expensive guitars.

Eric said that the Johnson Carolinas are actually "better made" than the RKs. I don't know what he specifically meant by that. We played-off the JO-27 against the RK-27 with the assistance of a pro/teacher who was visiting the shop. We couldn't hear a difference. What I did immediately notice was that the Englemann spruce on the JO-27 was much nicer than on the RK-27 and the RK-26.

• Members

I too have a Johnson JO 27 and rate it very highly, not only for the price, but also for its musicality in general.

I've been contemplating going to Waverly or the Grover Sta-Tites Waverly-style) open back tuners. Neither is a drop-in replacement, however; you'll have to fill the existing screw holes and then redrill. Stew-Mac has detailed specifications on both of these tuners, including precise templates.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/1/Grover_18:1_Sta-Tites/Specs.html#details

I don't really have any problem with the stock tuners; I just think the guitar would look really classy with open back tuners.

• Members

i believe that greg rich, the guitar designer behind the johnson carolinas (and i think blueridge before that)designed the recording kings. they do look pretty sweet.

The Music Link proudly welcomes Greg Rich, one of the industry

• Members

My little bro had a beautiful sounding Recording King from the 30s. He's still sorry he ever sold it.

The local boutique guitar shop started selling these new RKs a few months ago. The owner said he wanted to have something to sell in the $500 range. I played the one he handed me and thought it was a nice little guitar for the money.

Archived