Humbucker or single coil?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Soon I'm going to have need to amplify my acoustic. I've decided to go with a soundhole pickup because I don't want to permanently alter my guitar and they'll likely have more utility for me than a mic.

I plan to get a preamp for it too, because even the best stuff can sound bad without the proper EQ-ing.

My question is, should I go single coil or humbucking. From what I've hear people say, single coil sounds better, but its got hum. In your guys' experience, has that problem been significant enough to make you get a humbucker. Don't want to buy a single coil then have to turn around and buy a humbucker.

• Members

The DiMarzio "Elemental" is an EXCELLENT 'bucker for acoustic guitar...just trim the mids to taste.

DP134.jpg

Note the sliding volume knob...a very handy feature, as you can set it @ 80% for strumming, and slide it to 100% for leads or fingerpicking. About $75 or so, depending on where you find it.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DP134.htm

• Members

EQ'd by my Gigpro pre-amp, my $50 Fishman Neo-D sounds great in my Hummingbird (a cherished guitar I don't want to cut on or glue things to). And the Gigpro (a beltclip pre-amp) has a volume control, which as TAH notes is a hugely good thing to have close at hand while playing. With a little practice, you can change the settings on the Gigpro without having to look at it. I don't wear it on my belt (mainly because I don't wear one)--I clip it onto a side or back pants pocket.

I think the Neo-D is a single coil. Whatever it is, is has a smooth, clear sound that can be nicely balanced. I especially like it for fingerstyle.

I don't like the dangling cord of a soundhole PU worth a damn--always gets in the way. But that's life.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions, but is hum something I would normally have to worry about?

Other opinions might carry more weight than mine since most of my experience is with electric guitar pickups - strats and P90s, both single coil.

Some electrical devices and lights can cause greater amounts of hum. Moving away from those sources reduces it.

Double coils are called "humbuckers" for that reason - they're wired with one magnet reversed from the other to cancel the hum.

I have a Baggs M1 active in my masterbilt which sounds very good and natural. As for what sounds more natural Doug Young's Pickup Comparison site is your friend!

• Members

I always wonder what kind of strings to use with those things....acoustic or electric?

Because you can adjust the polepieces (to balance the individual strings' volumes), you can use either...when I used this p/u I always used D'Addario J-16s.

With mags w/o exposed adjustable polepieces, DR "Zebras" and GHS "White Bronze" sets work pretty well.

Archived