In the spirit of VOM1T, part 4

kwakatak

• Members

I took yesterday off, but here's today's attempt at a one-take - but ended up screwing up in the middle by forgetting the next chord leading to a brain fart that ended that take. Justin didn't mind and was happily playing with his aquadoodle paintings. This is the second take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyab8Serups

Anyway, why am I boring you guys with these entries? Well, call it a way of doing my homework. I want to be able to get over the distractions and jitters associated with performing. Usually an open mic in front of real people would be the solution, but even though I've done that I still have trouble getting out of the house. I'm also looking to see what's the best yet fastest yet easiest way of putting up A/V clips.

As for these videos, they're only temporary. Generally I only keep covers live for a short period of time. Think of these as a form of shared woodshedding.

• Members

I took yesterday off, but here's today's attempt at a one-take - but ended up screwing up in the middle by forgetting the next chord leading to a brain fart that ended that take. Justin didn't mind and was happily playing with his aquadoodle paintings. This is the second take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyab8Serups

Anyway, why am I boring you guys with these entries? Well, call it a way of doing my homework. I want to be able to get over the distractions and jitters associated with performing. Usually an open mic in front of real people would be the solution, but even though I've done that I still have trouble getting out of the house. I'm also looking to see what's the best yet fastest yet easiest way of putting up A/V clips.

As for these videos, they're only temporary. Generally I only keep covers live for a short period of time. Think of these as a form of shared woodshedding.

Bump....:)

• Members

Hey kwak first of all i wanna say i applaud what you do,I play all the songs you have posted,and would have alot of fun jammin with ya.Heres my take as im sure you would love some honest feedback as opposed to a slap on the back and an automatic good job.

1.The guitar playing is great,i mean it.Like spar said tempo was a bit rushed but caffiene and trying to concentrate while on camera can do that,very nice.

2.You have a really great voice man,but you need to let loose man.It seemed you were holding back a bit.

I can't wait for the next one man,good stuff.When I figure out how to get my vids up I expect some honest feedback from you.Hope you don't take anything i say the wrong way,I would want honesty before praise,so I will give nothing less.-pete

• Members

Kwakatak,

I would have to agree with Gordo about the singing.

At first I thought you were a little pitchy but after reading Pinch's assesment, I think that's the problem.

Being older now, I don't have the voice I once had. But if I put some oomph behind it, I can come very close to my younger days. When I play by myself (and everyone's home), I don't sing as loud and I don't sound as good either. When I'm really by myself, I will belt it out and then even I'm impressed.

BTW, just before you started your postings, I was wondering how I could record myself and post it. Just using your digital camera seems to be working out great for the purpose. But now I feel if I do, I'd just be a copycat or percieved as trying to "one-up" you. I love playing for others but I have no outlet and I thought what you're doing would be a good outlet for me. All I need now is a little more memory in my camera to get past 2:30.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

LOL - "pitchy" is such a funny term. Props to Randy Jackson for that term, I suppose. Not that it isn't accurate: I'm not a trained singer, just an amateur who had/has no other way to amuse himself. That being said, I didn't push myself as much as I did in the Blues Traveler song for a couple of reasons:

1) in looking for the balance between guitar and vocals I found that in order to play up against my voice I have to ease back on the OM-03R. The problem is that the guitar is very midrange-oriented, which is great for instrumental pieces but when used as an accompaniment to vocals it covers the same range. Ideally I'd use my Tak but it's currently stripped pending repairs. Its voice has good bass (though could use a little more IMO) but who knows how much longer it will last given its condition. That's why I've been GASing for a HD-35 which is very bass-heavy.

2) The song itself. Cat Stevens has a very powerful yet restrained voice. He holds back on his power by channeling it into an almost constant falsetto (vibrato?) and he sings almost up into the soprano range. In order to do that I have to "pull up" on the singing.

3) The recording setup. Let's face it, the mic on my Canon Powershot A560 isn't the best. It picks up a lot of ambient noise and has that nasty buzz when there's some EM leakage from the surrounding circuitry; my house was built by a prefab developer and wired by the lowest-bidding subcontractor. I've countered for the audio deficiencies in the past by setting up a separate audio recording chain and marrying the two in MS Movie Maker.

That being said, here's a slightly older recording of what it would sound like with a (slightly) better microphone, my Tak dread and just one kid playing (noisily) off-camera. It's "pitchy" as all hell though because it was originally written/performed by Sarah McLachlan and I can't do that yodel thing she does without sounding like a chipmunk:

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos#

• Members

I just tried a couple of samples with my Fuji S5000 (not an SLR, but not a point and shoot). The video is a little poor and the sound is really quiet when I play it back on my computer. Plus it certainly doesn't do my guitar any justice.

RE: your voice; make no mistake, you have a good voice. I understand the struggle between the voice and guitar, volume-wise. And yes, "pitchy" does sound a little AI-ish.

I did enjoy Wild World though, that was a good effort. A little fast, as people have pointed out, but a good effort.

Archived