Is the git or my ear breaking in?

liko

• Members

So most of you know I recently bought the Taylor 114 in my sig. Wonderful player. The question revolves around a perceived change in the tone of this guitar the more I play it; it sounds deeper and richer every time I take it out of its case and noodle around on it. Your first thought may be strings, but I've changed strings once since I got it (that nanoweb coating isn't as durable as some other string coatings; sounds great though) and the box only got slightly brighter (the difference was more about the added shimmer of new strings versus a real shift in tone center). This was a brand-new guitar straight out of the box, and a solid-top, so if someone told me the guitar would age I'd believe them. However, I'd be surprised to hear it would do so this quickly; this is more like the git is breaking itself in.

On the other hand, it could be me getting used to the sound of my new baby. This is a better guitar in practically every way over the little $100 plywood box I learned on, and on top of that, the Jasmine needs a little TLC from a luthier as the bridge has started to pull up. As a consequence, if I play an acoustic it's the Taylor, and so I'm hearing its sound more than any other. I just remember it sounding significantly brighter the day I took it home.

Either way, couldn't be happier with the tone; nice deep fundamental, good presence and cut-through, very balanced. Just wondering if it's a function of the guitar loosening up and breaking in or my ear becoming accustomed to "Taylor tone". Opinions?

• Members

Couldn't you also be slowly adapting your technique to your new guitar? Slightly different position of the right hand, different nail/pick angle and attack, etc...

When I get a new guitar, I first tend to play it with the technique that sounded good on another guitar. It takes a few weeks or months to get to know a new instrument and adapt your playing to make it sound at its best, to find its sweet spots. All guitars are different.

:idk:

• Members

Couldn't you
also
be slowly adapting your technique to your new guitar? Slightly different position of the right hand, different nail/pick angle and attack, etc...

When I get a new guitar, I first tend to play it with the technique that sounded good on another guitar. It takes a few weeks or months to get to know a new instrument and adapt your playing to make it sound at its best, to find its sweet spots. All guitars are different.

:idk:

Never thought about that. I'd say I'm playing it in pretty much the same way as any other of my axes, but there maybe something subtle I'm doing unconsciously. Then again, while my arm position is pretty close, the guitar is slung over my shoulder differently (the Taylor has a neck strap button, while the Jasmine's strap is tied to the headstock) so I'm probably strumming/picking further toward the bridge (I strum my Jasmine very close to and sometimes over the neck, but my hand naturally sweeps right over the soundhole on my Taylor). Could make a difference, I dunno.

• Members

(I strum my Jasmine very close to and sometimes over the neck, but my hand naturally sweeps right over the soundhole on my Taylor). Could make a difference, I dunno.

It definitely would make a difference: Mellow and dark towards the neck, brighter towards the bridge. Your right hand could simply be slowly finding its place on the new guitar.

Moving the right hand along the strings is actually a very simple and efficient way to vary tone and dynamics when playing a guitar. :thu:

• Members

I'm not sure if it's been scientifically confirmend, but I think it is common belief that guitars improve with age and with playing. That the wood itself "loosens up" by the vibrations of playing it. I know a guy that leaves his guitar on a stand in front of his stereo speakers and leaves his stereo going all day at playing levels, and claims that the vibrations help to condition or age the wood. Not sure if that works, but he has been in the guitar business (owns a shop selling Martins, Taylors and others) for a long time.

• Members

It definitely would make a difference: Mellow and dark towards the neck, brighter towards the bridge. Your right hand could simply be slowly finding its place on the new guitar.

Moving the right hand along the strings is actually a very simple and efficient way to vary tone and dynamics when playing a guitar.
:thu:

Except that strumming closer to the bridge produced a deeper, richer sound than neck strumming :idk: I know all about how varying picking position alters tone; what I'm saying is that there's a more significant difference between how the Taylor used to sound and how it does now than can be explained by how much I might have changed my strumming position, and it's going the other way.

It seems that a guitar "opening up" with time and play is a known occurrence. I'm just a little surprised it started happening so soon. Then again, it's seen quite a bit of love since I adopted it.

• Members

I could hear a difference between my Takamine laminated top and my Alvarez laminated top, the Alvarez had a much better tone. In the same way I can hear a difference between the Alvarez and my new solid top Yamaha, the Yamaha has an even better tone then the Alvarez and I thought it sounded good but only when compared to the Tak.

Archived