When Bad Times Make Good Art

T.B.

• Members

"When Bad Times Make Good Art"

By Nicholas Dawidoff

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122973726066823379.html?mod=article-outset-box

Someone once said, "If you wanted to know about a period of history, read the literature of that particular time". I recall an interview the recently deceased Studs Turkel did with Mahalia Jackson and she said, "Something can only be spoken of through song". Mr. Dawidoff picks up on both of those themes in his timely piece written in The Wall Street Journal. The blues to me was always saying... and this to shall pass.

• Members

Other researchers have found that people with low self-esteem are more likely to feel schadenfreude than are people who have high self-esteem

Wouldn't someone with low self esteem feel that they deserve their misfortune more than someone else and not rejoice in other misfortune?

I kind of feel the rich are often compensated unfairly these days due to a tilted playing field. If anything it reflects a feeling that they are no better than us which doesn't make sense as a lack of self esteem. If anything I'm suspicious that these researchers were funded by a bunch of rich assholes who have low self esteem.

Archived