repair of hurt Breedlove

myTakamine

• Members

It would be expensive to repair it the right way.

You may be able to do an inexpensive patch job that will resemble Dr. Frankenstein's monster.

You could play it the way it is if the damaged area doesn't bother your arm.

• Members

Ouch! Is that an Atlas? I'm not sure but I think that that repair might be more than the value of the guitar.

Thanks for all the opinions. Yep, an Atlas AD25/SR Plus.

It's not mine ... yet ... it sounds like the repair won't be worth it, but it might be an interesting beater ("beaten"? :D) as-is, for as little as the owner is asking for it.

• Members

be interesting to see one of the beveled edge's put on there...

it's in the perfect location-

Perhaps a little close to the waist for a streamline bevel, but still very possible - if not a little expensive. Another possibility is to patch the side and inlay the top.

Either way, it is repairable. :thu:

• Members

It's not mine ... yet ... it sounds like the repair won't be worth it, but it might be an interesting beater ("beaten"?
:D
) as-is, for as little as the owner is asking for it.

Yeah, for $75 you really can't go wrong. I would pick it up myself but Covington is way to far of a drive. I would say go for it. If nothing else you could use it on recordings.

• Members

How successful can a repair be, when the damage looks like this?

And how much might the repair cost? (more than ~$500?)

3n53kf3md1231g914691563626589c5101245.jp

3na3md3p81121241449159833568c4344118e.jp

Suggestion

Depending upon personal preferences you could consider having the damage repaired and inlaid to camouflage any remaining blemish to the soundboard. An example of such decorative work would potentially match the application used - but on the soundboard edge - found in the following link.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/92/232393371_4d88531363.jpg?v=0

Work of this nature can be done by anyone using virtually any material and design and - if tastefully done - could return the instrument to somewhere near it's original value as much of the damage can be reinstated to a point bordering on invisible.

• Members

It's not mine ... yet ... it sounds like the repair won't be worth it, but it might be an interesting beater ("beaten"?
:D
) as-is, for as little as the owner is asking for it.

Well, go take a look at it but unless you can either live with the damage or feel like taking on a woodworking project - that bevel idea sounds like a good one BTW - then I'd walk away. Just my $.02.

• Members

I was hoping to live with the damage for now, but it turns out it's not playable as-is. He had taken the strings off because it was pulling the top up -- this is one Hurt guitar.

I hope someone who can do the job themselves adopts it and nurses it back to health.

• Members

Suggestion

Depending upon personal preferences you could consider having the damage repaired and inlaid to camouflage any remaining blemish to the soundboard. An example of such decorative work would potentially match the application used - but on the soundboard edge - found in the following link.

232393371_4d88531363.jpg

Work of this nature can be done by anyone using virtually any material and design and - if tastefully done - could return the instrument to somewhere near it's original value as much of the damage can be reinstated to a point bordering on invisible.

That's a clever idea. A small tasteful inlay at the damaged site could look really nice.

Archived