Got Your Serial Numbers?

Screaming Stone

• Members

That should be an absolute.

I recovered several stolen guitars from a pawn shop a couple of years ago because I had serial numbers, pictures and descriptions. The bitch of it was I had to pay the pawn fees to get them back and it took about a month. It's my personal opinion that if the pawn shops got stuck with the loss of the money they loaned out there would be fewer guitars stolen because the pawn shops wouldn't be buying them and the resale market for stolen guitars would shrink then by that amount.

I had to pay the fees because pawn shops here in CA have a strong lobby in Sacramento that protects them from losses.

• Members

I recovered several stolen guitars from a pawn shop a couple of years ago because I had serial numbers, pictures and descriptions. The bitch of it was I had to pay the pawn fees to get them back and it took about a month. It's my personal opinion that if the pawn shops got stuck with the loss of the money they loaned out there would be fewer guitars stolen because the pawn shops wouldn't be buying them and the resale market for stolen guitars would shrink then by that amount.

I had to pay the fees because pawn shops here in CA have a strong lobby in Sacramento that protects them from losses.

Sounds like a racket to me, man. I can see where the pawn shop might "engineer" a couple of heists, just to get a guaranteed finder's fee. I believe that the pawn shops would be more careful if they had to swallow the loss, also.

• Members

that sucks. we don't take kindly to pawn brokers dealing in stolen property here in Michigan.

but, as you might have heard, we kinda got our own problems...

• Members

All serial numbers are logged along with the sales receipts, descriptions, warranties and specs which I keep in sheet protectors and filed in three ring binder notebooks. I also created an excel spread sheet logging every instrument and piece of studio gear along with their serial #'s.

The visual logging will be a nice project once I get a nice, high res digital camera.

• Members

All serial numbers are logged along with the sales receipts, descriptions, warranties and specs which I keep in sheet protectors and filed in three ring binder notebooks. I also created an excel spread sheet logging every instrument and piece of studio gear along with their serial #'s.

The visual logging will be a nice project once I get a nice, high res digital camera.

Not just a good idea for guitars and gear, but for anything with a serial number.

• Members

I just put some plastique inside my guitars that's triggered by anyone's DNA except mine. I mean, if I didn't and did get my guitars back I'd want the culprit to meet his maker just on the principle of the whole ordeal. This way he's pink mist and the loss of the guitar was worth it. I'm charitable that way. Plastique ain't cheap, y'know.

Just kidding, folks. I'd be bummed out about a theft but I'm not that worried about it. The things are just things and easily replaced. Paranoia is easy to induce these days.

• Members

:thu:True true true! What I have done is this: I take pictures of each of my guitars (full shot, body shot, headstock & neck). I use my photo/draw program and put each of those shots on the 8x11 size sheet. In the center I write in the following: Brand, model, serial number, purchase date & price I paid. Of course the price paid is a personal things, but I have a record. Makes a nice record of each guitar and you can use them/it as wall paper or what ever. I print each off and have the picture in a folder (so there is a record in the computer & a hard copy.

Archived