I built a Cajon.

bustaplz

• Members

Total cost is somewhere around $180 including the tools I had to buy.

DSCN0027.jpg

DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0029.jpg

DSCN0030.jpg

DSCN0031.jpg

DSCN0032.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

DSCN0041.jpg

I don't really know how to play it, but I know that the snare sounds really cool and I strike with the palm under the snare makes a really deep kick drum sound. I built it like I would a ported subwoofer box in car audio, 1.654 ft^3 tuned to about 85hz. I don't know if this works on a Cajon but I like it!

• Members

As you can see, I had some issues on the back. The plywood was really crappy on the back piece and I lost a lot of the first layer when I touch it with the belt sander. By then it was already glued solid so I had no choice but to inlay some 1/4" ply in that big channel that got ripped out. I haven't figured out how to finish it yet, but I'm trying to find a way to make it gloss black like the instruments hanging on the wall behind me in the last picture. The back feet are actually a hockey puck cut up and drilled through, then I attacked them with a Forstner(sp?) bit to make the bolt/washer fit inside. They allow the cajon to rock back(changes the sounds quite a bit) without any resistance. It's a very cool little instrument. It's not very pretty because I don't have the right tools for the job, really. Some of the ripping had to be done freehand on a table saw and then levelled, straightened with a belt sander. It was about a 6 day project including glue dry time waits. If anyone has any tips on finishing it, please please let me know!

• Members

Cool. I built one about a year ago but never added the snares. I may yet. I did leave the top corners free to get that characteristic snap(rim shot?).

I noticed two of the cajon's feet are knob bumpers. That's what I used for all four. Great, solid, good wearing feet.......and cheap.

Cajon is Spanish for box, which is what they originally were; packing crates. Said to have originated in Peru, they are also very popular in Cuban music.

Clif

• Members
Very cool
:thu:

I love the sound of the cajon, and it's a natural match for an acoustic guitar.

Listening to someone that can really play it is quite amazing, it's like an entire drumkit hidden in a box.
:D

My uncle has a friend who I think is a big session drummer. I've seen a bunch of drumsticks signed by big county celebs. He and my uncle sat down on a pair of cajon's and played a marching band song from high school. It was absolutely wild. I'm still trying to figure out how to finish it without affecting the sound too much.

Archived