Grover Sta-Tite open back tuners for my Larrivee

kwakatak

• Members

Has anybody ever successfully installed a set of Grover Sta-Tite (originals) open-back tuners on a Larrivee 03/05/09/10 series paddle head? I tried to last night and found out that it wouldn't work.

I got a set of in nickle-finish for Christmas with the intention of installing them on my OM-03R. About two months or so ago I tried to install them and saw that I needed bushings to compensate for the slimmer diameter of the posts, which I did. Well, last night I figured that it was finally a time for a string change so I went and took out the Pings and installed the bushings. When I slipped the Grovers into the bushings I noticed that the openings in the posts for the strings where not visible. Instead, they're only halfway up the post, which would put them inside the headstock.

So what gives? This is all 6 tuners so it can't be a flaw; they look like they belong that way. Did I order the wrong type and got slothead tuners instead of paddle-head tuners? The packaging states that they "fit most guitars without modifications" but that happened to not be so. I feel so stupid because I should have noticed this before getting to this point.

Oh well, at least I didn't drill new mounting screw holes and the bushings popped right back out so I was able to reinstall the Pings. IIRC we still have the box and receipt so off they go back to Stewmac, if they'll have them. The proceeds will go back in the GAS can - a coffee can that contains my savings toward a new dread in change and small bills. I have yet to break that to my wife though! Just looking for the silver lining in a busted situation.

• Members

Yeah, they've gotta be slotheads. Somebody over at the Larrivee forum pointed me toward the right part number:

If the StaTites look like this:

Grover_18:1_Sta-Tite_Slotted_Peghead_Gui

then they are the wrong ones.

Exchange them for these:

Grover_18:1_Sta-Tites_Detail.jpg

#4592 at StewMac. They should exchange them for you.

You might need conversion bushings as the StaTites are smaller in diameter than the Pings you are taking off.

Now to see if I've got the receipt and if they'll exchange them after 90 days. I don't anticipate a problem.

• Members

As the photo shows, the most obvious difference is the fact that the slothead tuner sare straight and same diameter end-to-end.

I made the same mistake once when I bought a set at Elderly. I kept them and eventually put them on my 000-15S as I hated the little pearl buttoned Pings that come stock on that model.

• Members

man, those guys over @ the Larrivee forum are so cool!
:D

Yeah, but apart from the forum 111 guitar (blah blah blah) I swear I hear crickets when I go over there. Whatever happened to the old crew?

Oh well, at least the mods over there don't rule the roost with an iron fist like they do at the old TGF. ;)

• Members

Yeah, but apart from the forum 111 guitar (blah blah blah) I swear I hear crickets when I go over there. Whatever happened to the old crew?

Oh well, at least the mods over there don't rule the roost with an iron fist like they do at the old TGF.
;)

yeah, they do go on about the FIII, don't they?

I wish the damn thing would ship, and we could all get on with our lives. I refuse to read those threads, some of which number in the multiple 1000s, for crying out loud. one is on the brink of 12K. if I had a dime for every post in just that one thread, I could buy an FIII guitar.

as for the mods, don't get me started... :evil:

Archived