Ovation acoustic/electric sucks

mysterybat35

Originally posted by Andrewrg

Did You Know dept.

The textured coating on early Ovation backs contained crushed peach stones.

Strange but true!

Oh, and I found an Ovation forum-it has had five(5)posts since 2003, total:D

Try the real thing, dude!!

Ovation Forum

LOL - missed the last post:freak:

Amazing but true.

I've probably picked up and played maybe 100 Martins in my life.. Ok I've been around. I've always wanted them to sound amazing because I love the legend and lot's of my heroes used to play them.

I only found one that I liked the tone of right off. It was an electric/acoustic with a composite body and it had the best tone both acoustically and electrically.

I will grant that dead strings in stores could account for some of this but I find the tone dull and lifeless compared to the Taylors, Larivees, Bourgeois, Collins, Ovations etc guitars that I pick up in most stores, play and enjoy.

Ovation fits right in there as one of the better quality guitars in their price range.

• Members

Originally posted by 59refin

Hey Terry, I've heard of Steven Curtis Chapman and Gary Chapman (Amy Grant's ex), but who is Michael? I'm into CCM music and am not familiar with that name.

He performs Gospel music in the US, mostly at Methodist affairs and that sort of thing...not sure what label he's on these days, but I'll try to remember to ask him, next time I see him.

• Members

Originally posted by Cldplytkmn

ok do we need to get into this again?

A) i've heard some live performances of his, and his guitar sounded like ass... i've heard better acoustic sounds at high school talent shows...

B) someone famous playing a brand of guitar should mean absolutely {censored} to us... it doesn't mean they're good, it doesn't mean they're quality, it doesn't mean anything.

Part of the "sound equation" is the guitar, but the sound system, sound crew, air pressure, venue acoustics, etc. are the rest.

I recall hearing Tony Rice playing Clarence White's famous D-28 and sounding like fingernails on a chalk-board, but I kinow it wasn't the fault of either the guitar OR the guitarist! One thing I learned from my 3 years of earning my living w/ Ovations (and 30+ years, in all, of performing) is that a lot of sound folks aren't very knowledgable on how to make ANY acoustic guitar sound natural over a sound system...sad, but true!

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

Part of the "sound equation" is the guitar, but the sound system, sound crew, air pressure, venue acoustics, etc. are the rest.

One thing I learned from my 3 years of earning my living w/ Ovations (and 30+ years, in all, of performing) is that a
lot
of sound folks aren't very knowledgable on how to make ANY acoustic guitar sound natural over a sound system...sad, but true!

That's the truth. I watched a sound guy equing a guitarists 2 acoustics so that they both sounded the same, unbeknownst to the guitarist. Both guitars had different tonal qualities ... which is why the guitarist was switching between them during his set, which never got conveyed to the audience. BTW - He made them both sound rather generic as well.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Ovation CT754? I don't think Ovation makes any such model. This is some cheap knock-off you can only get on ebay. Hope your buddy didn't pay more than $100 for the thing. And by the way, real Ovation action is adjustable - they come with shims you can add or remove from under the bridge, and you can adjust the neck. Same as any other guitar - you've got to set it up to your liking.

• Members

Hi,

Have any of you guys played an Ovation style acoustic? I recently played an Ovation Acoustic Electric CT754 and it is one of the most beautiful looking acoustic electric guitar I have ever seen.

HOWEVER, it sounds like crap. The neck is way too big and the action is very high. What I mean is that the strings are so far from the fretboard that you can barely play fast on it. When plugged into an amp it doesn't even sound like an acoustic guitar. It sounds thick and muddy and feels like you are playing BB King's Lucille. That's how thick the neck is. I'm glad I didn't buy the guitar but I feel bad for the guy who did.

MB35

Guy you did not play an Ovation.

You played a Chinese knock off.

They are on Ebay "Ovation type Guitars"

Not made by Kaman.

It part of the fake guitar ebay has warning about.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Chinese-Fake-Guitars-Scams-on-Ebay_W0QQugidZ10000000001604819?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:SIMILAR:1

The tip-off is $119 price.

Ovations have the following starting prices

OVATIONS import retails for $299

Applause by Ovation start at $199

USA Ovation retails for $899

• Members

i have an 81 custom legend deep bowl non cutaway...its loud clear and sounds good unplugged and even better plugged in...its looks are to die for and im not even an ovation fan...the only thing i dont like about it is that its heavy...id never sell it though its a nice example and definately a keeper for me..heres a pic for you

1719 deep no cut on order,

Sweet guitars.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hey, I think you are totally wrong. The reason you probably didnt like that ovation was because, like you said, the action was too high. taht can be fixed in about 2 seconds. There are pieces of plastic under the bridge. all you have to do is remove as many as you want until the action is where you like it. That is also probably why it sounded bad. another reason could be if it was a celebrity or applause by ovation. both those guitars are not ovations. they are cheap versions of the real deal. they do not sound anything like an ovation.

all i play is ovation. i own three of them right now and my friend who owns a tayler even says that the ovation's tone is better than his taylor. i totally agree with him too. an ovation might not project as well as a flat-backed guitar, but the quality of its sound beats anything out there...

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I love Ovation guitars but as with any guitar, you get what you pay for. This is one of the low end models and the action IS high and the sound isn't great.

I have a 2003 Ovation Collector's Edition that has the super-deep bowl and sounds absolutely amazing - low range booms, mid-range rings and upper range is clear and concise! I have another Ovation with the shallow bowl and it doesn't come close to the same sound - very tin-like but the action is low and it plays easily enough. Amp'd up, it sounds ok because you can adjust the amp for whatever sound you like.

As I stated before, I am a fan of Ovation guitars so don't judge the entire line by one of it's affordable, yet sub-standard guitars and always remember - You get what you pay for.

• Members

I love Ovation guitars but as with any guitar, you get what you pay for. This is one of the low end models and the action IS high and the sound isn't great.

I have a 2003 Ovation Collector's Edition that has the super-deep bowl and sounds absolutely amazing - low range booms, mid-range rings and upper range is clear and concise! I have another Ovation with the shallow bowl and it doesn't come close to the same sound - very tin-like but the action is low and it plays easily enough. Amp'd up, it sounds ok because you can adjust the amp for whatever sound you like.

As I stated before, I am a fan of Ovation guitars so don't judge the entire line by one of it's affordable, yet sub-standard guitars and always remember - You get what you pay for.

:deadhorse:

• Members

My camping guitar is an ovation celebrity deep bowl. It's ugly, sounds like strings on a plastic box, but I filed the nut and bridge and got some sweet action out of it.

It is impervious to rain, heat, and extreme cold and getting knocked over by my kids. I've owned it 20 years and it has spent more time outdoors than inside, yet still plays perfect.

I should get an endorsement from Ovation for this testimony.:D

• Members

I owned one a few years back. The action on it was close to an electric and I really liked that. On the other hand I dont plug my acoustics in very often and it just didnt project. I sold it within 6 months of purchasing it.

I wont ever buy another.

• Members

I like my Ovation, it's my buddy. Mine is an American Balladeer. The Celebrities don't sound too hot, but the American Ovations sounds good. It has nice balanced tones, with decent bass. I never plug mine in and it sounds fine. I find that Ovations play really nice as well, like the last post said, it kind of plays like an electric. Also, my Ovation doesn't slide off my lap, it has a flattened part on it o prevent that; I think it's very comfortable, and it's a very solid guitar. It has served me well.

Archived