Larrivee L-19, GAS, and sleeping on the couch...

Berkleo

• Members

I hate Guitar (abuse) Center like a junkie hates heroin, but it's fun to visit once an a while and play whatever's hanging on the wall. I go in to waste time with no intention of buying anything, really (!) (I'd rather support smaller shops), EXCEPT.... I go in Saturday and the enthusiastic and persistent (annoying and obnoxious) sales person, who eventually gave up (after demonstrating her Ani DiFranco chops) insisted I try this used Larrivee L-19, and this is where my story really begins. Holy cow, what an exquisite sound, highs, mids, lows - clear, resonant and substantial - wow and wow and wow (I could go on). :blah:

Dilema: I hate the vine motif fretboard. While it's a work of art in and of itself, I find it busy and distracting. I think there is nothing lovelier than a simple fretboard with basic markers. But the git sounds so good I can get over it.

2nd dilema: as the D-19 is discontinued there is a distinct lack of info on the net about them. Can anyone help with this. GC list for $2399 used but (I think) will go down to $1800. I really can't go over $1500 as last month I brought home the most recent "last guitar I'll ever need" a Huss and Dalton Tom-R. So I'm looking for any info or opinions on the L-19 w/Vine Inlay Fretboard (I do know it was replaced with the L-09 and L-10) and a little perspective, as mine is clouded by GAS and I will be sleeping on the couch for a month. Thanks.

• Members

All of the L bodies are impressive. You are paying for the extra "bling" as you move up. There really is no big difference in tone and playability. I'm a fan of simplicity. I hate busy fretboard inlay work.

Check out the L-09. You can get one around your price range new from Jason at Notable Guitars.

Another option is the L-05. It has mahogany sides and back rather then rosewood. I prefer the mahogany over rosewood. You can get the L-05 for a few hundred less than the L-09.

Either way, visit Notable and get a current price list. Jason can answer all of your Larrivee questions and his prices are hard to beat.

http://www.notableguitars.com

• Members

insisted I try this used Larrivee L-19, and this is where my story really begins. Holy cow, what an exquisite sound, highs, mids, lows - clear, resonant and substantial - wow and wow and wow (I could go on).
:blah:
Thanks.

How does that go again; "That which you resist persists". I knew a guy that sold his pickup truck, his only form of transportation, to buy cocaine. Seemed like a good idea at the time.....

I got this 000-28EC talking to me after a month of staying away from it. Pickup's for sale too.

• Members

All of the L bodies are impressive. You are paying for the extra "bling" as you move up. There really is no big difference in tone and playability. I'm a fan of simplicity. I hate busy fretboard inlay work.

Check out the L-09. You can get one around your price range new from Jason at Notable Guitars.

Another option is the L-05. It has mahogany sides and back rather then rosewood. I prefer the mahogany over rosewood. You can get the L-05 for a few hundred less than the L-09.

Either way, visit Notable and get a current price list. Jason can answer all of your Larrivee questions and his prices are hard to beat.

+1

I'm glad that you had such a good experience with the L-19 but Hud is right - there are cheaper alternatives in the Larrivee line, the cheapest being the L-03R. Don't feel obligated to buy that particular guitar because many believe (myself included) that Larrivees are pretty consistent. I won't even get into my opinion of salespeople who say "here play this" or GC's way of doing business.

• Members

Dilema: I hate the vine motif fretboard. While it's a work of art in and of itself, I find it busy and distracting. I think there is nothing lovelier than a simple fretboard with basic markers. But the git sounds so good I can get over it.

You could try a Sharpie. :idea:

• Members

lets not forget, folks... this is A) a discontinued model and therefore justifyable by the logic that "they're just not making them like this anymore" and B) considering that its discontinued, it probably has some age under its belt... it might be hard to go pick up an L-09 that sounds like it... maybe, but maybe not.

• Members

+1

I'm glad that you had such a good experience with the L-19 but Hud is right - there are cheaper alternatives in the Larrivee line, the cheapest being the L-03R. Don't feel obligated to buy that particular guitar because many believe (myself included) that Larrivees are pretty consistent. I won't even get into my opinion of salespeople who say "here play this" or GC's way of doing business.

So as astonishing as I think this L-19 sounds, what I've discovered is not the Holy Grail we all go into stores or pawn shops looking for but a guitar line with the tone and craftsmanship that resonates with me?????? 'Cuz Martins, Taylors, Froggys, Gibsons and Yari's have never made me tingle like this....

• 2 years later...
  • Members

So, I saw this thread and have a bit of information from Brian at Larrivee (from 2001). I have the L-19 and also wanted to know the story. So, from Brian, paraphrased a bit:

"A long time ago, Jean L made a relatively plain model called the L-09 and a fancy model call the L-10. One of Jean's distributors thought he had a market for an intermediate model. This presented a naming dilemma. He couldn't very well call the new model the "L-09 and a half" or the "L09.5"... Anyway the new model became the L-19, and for many years we patiently explained to people that our models didn't in this case follow the logical progression of higher numbers for fancier models... Finally we decided to end the confusion and deep six the name altogether. You can still buy exactly the same guitar, except now we call it an "-09" with some custom features added. It would be priced in between an "-09" and a "-10".

Hope this helps.

Archived