Don't let it get away 1939 D28 closet classic

jedistar

• Members

I just sent the seller the following question. I'm sure the response will be interesting.

"Hello,

Would you be so kind as to clarify your use of the word "uncirculated"?

The guitar shows signs of extensive usage, hence, my request for some clarification.

Thank you,

Sammye"

• Members

It probably had strings on it for a lot of its life judging by the wear. I'd wonder how much the soundboard has bowed or if it needs a neck reset. The guy said it has good action for flatpicking without providing a real measurement. Meaning its probably pretty damn high. I don't really know if people actually buy these for playability though. I don't even know if a neck reset devalues a guitar when its that old and expensive.

• Members

I just received the following message from the seller:

"Uncirculated means it hasn't been in the hands of very many collectors and if you call some fret wear signs of "exstensive usage" then you should not consider buying a 70 year old guitar.

Regards, Steve"

• Members

"Uncirculated means it hasn't been in the hands of very many collectors and if you call some fret wear signs of "exstensive usage" then you should not consider buying a 70 year old guitar.

Regards, Steve"

Bad answer. Something is not right. Plus he can't spell.

• Members

Bad answer. Something is not right. Plus he can't spell.

Indeed. Snotty one, isn't he?

Additionally, "uncirculated" means just that, so more than one owner makes it circulated. Dude needs to peruse a Webster's, among other things.

• Members

Uncirculated means it hasn't been in the hands of very many collectors and if you call some fret wear signs of "exstensive usage" then you should not consider buying a 70 year old guitar.

Regards, Steve

So essentially "uncirculated" indicates nothing good or bad whatsoever? Either it could have been impossible to get rid of for what someone bought it for, or it was just too good to let go. It's obviously in pretty good condition besides the crack on the back, but a lot of the descriptions have that creepy salesman vibe. That guy also sounds rather pompous. I would sort of expect that though.

• Members

Indeed. Snotty one, isn't he?

Additionally, "uncirculated" means just that, so more than one owner makes it circulated. Dude needs to peruse a Webster's, among other things.

Yeah, he definitely is in need of an "attitude" adjustment so say the least. And if I was going to spend what he is asking I would say, "OK dude, let's meet in Nazareth and let those folks look it over".

• Members

So essentially "uncirculated" indicates nothing good or bad whatsoever?
Either it could have been impossible to get rid of for what someone bought it for, or it was just too good to let go. It's obviously in pretty good condition besides the crack on the back, but a lot of the descriptions have that creepy salesman vibe. That guy also sounds rather pompous. I would sort of expect that though.

Well, in this case, "uncirculated" is nothing but bull{censored}. The git has been in the hands of more than one collector, so has been circulated, albeit perhaps minimally.

So, does the seller wish to purport that the guitar is indeed uncirculated, as per the proper definition of the word? If so, I have serious doubts as to the seller's integrity.

• Members

It's just the tone they use when they think someone doesn't have the money. If he thought you did, he would undoubtedly be kissing your ass. Fortunately for that guy he has a high likelihood of being correct at that price. I haven't actually been inside a music store in like 4 years until a few days ago mostly for that reason. Neither reaction is going to stroke me right.

• Members

It's just the tone they use when they think someone doesn't have the money.
If he thought you did, he would undoubtedly be kissing your ass. Fortunately for that guy he has a high likelihood of being correct at that price. I haven't actually been inside a music store in like 4 years until a few days ago mostly for that reason. Neither reaction is going to stroke me right.

And what's funny is that I do indeed know a collector who fancies pre-war Martins, and would have given him a heads-up on this if the dude hadn't been such a snot. (My friend is an old guy who doesn't much like computers, much less, Fleabay, so I would have assisted with the deal if he'd been interested.)

• Members
This instrument is loud and proud and will send banjos running for cover. The owner and I have had the chance to compare it to several other wonderful D28s including a one of a kind magical sounding 66 D-28, a really nice 58 D28 and a 44 D28. It was evident why 39

• Members

Objects selling for that kind of price generally come with a provenance stating who owned it and when. They also come with a recent formal appraisal of its value. It should be stored in some secure location.

Guildfire: ""OK dude, let's meet in Nazareth and let those folks look it over".

That's a good idea actually. A buyer could pay to have it evaluated at the factory. Or a buyer with that kind of money could fly with out with a CFM appraiser to have it inspected.

I think it's a real D-28. I'm no expert. But the auction is kind of insane.

And Sam's right. If it's had more than one owner, it's been circulated.

• Members

I'm looking inside that guitar and it looks way too clean. By "clean" I don't just mean the lack of dust etc...the wood looks like it's brand new. The stamp on the neck block looks really fresh. The binding looks really white too. it might be the flash but I'd think it would be a little yellow.

And to be honest I've never seen a nitro finished guitar that old without at least some finish checking. Nitro is an unstable compound.

The fact that it hasn had much history circulating among dealers and collectors is also a red flag.

Something's not right and I definitely wouldn't buy a guitar like that based on pictures.

These guitars are mass produced factory items. By lacking unique features, they are a forger's dream.

Still it would take some balls to try and pull off that kind of fraud. I'm wondering if that serial number holds any clues as to the history of this guitar.

39D2815.jpg

I mean look at that back seam center strip. That spruce is very white and it looks like it was shaped by a modern machine...definitely doesn't look yellowed, hand-shaped and a bit fuzzy from 70 years time.

Time will do things to wood regardless whether it's being played or not. BTW the mahogany kerfing looks brand new too. Pale and sharp. Most mahogany I've seen that old is very dark, even unfinished.

I will say this: the back and sides ARE Brazilian rosewood of the quality Martin used to use back then.

Martin doesn 't have wood like that these days but a lot of private luthiers do.

• Members

I just checked that guitar. That's Insane!! Who pays that kind of money for an old guitar? I'm perfectly happy with my 1997 Martin HD28-VR which is a reproduction of this guitar except uses East Indian Rosewood.

Other than that I was looking at the photos and grabbed my guitar and they look identical to me. Here's the details on my exact year and model:

http://www.usd.edu/smm/PluckedStrings/Guitars/MartinGuitars/6096/6096MartinGuitar.html

Archived