Ever fix a bulged top?

outdoorgb

• Members

I picked up a beater off craigslist...nice guitar, straight neck, no damage, plays great wtih action about .125+" (8/64ths)at the 12th fret...But I later noticed the saddle was short...as in not much sticking out of the bridge.

It's playable but I can see the top is buldged. Not in a localized area but all around the top behind the bridge. If I hold a straight edge across the top there are two gaps equal to about .250" on the outsides of the guitar (top and bottom).

Has anyone ever humidified a guitar and then put weight/clamps on a bulged top to try and get some of it out? I'm thinking a slow process say 1-2 months with a Planet Waves humidifier and some weight...

Or am I just pounding sand?

Thanks

• Members

You can take a bow out of a top, especially if its primarily under the bridge. I know, I did it. I removed a bridge and then check the bracing. a couple of months of adding weight evenly on the top seemed to bring it back to normal. I reglued the bridge and actually had a brace reinforced with tape where it was bowing the most. It hasn't moved since. Worth a try if you don't have money into it.

• Members

I picked up a beater off craigslist...nice guitar, straight neck, no damage, plays great wtih action about .125+" (8/64ths)at the 12th fret...But I later noticed the saddle was short...as in not much sticking out of the bridge.

It's playable but I can see the top is buldged. Not in a localized area but all around the top behind the bridge. If I hold a straight edge across the top there are two gaps equal to about .250" on the outsides of the guitar (top and bottom).

Or am I just pounding sand?

Thanks

Two things in your post concern me. First, your action is a bit on the high side and you don't have much saddle sticking out - that says you need a neck reset. Second, the presence of a bulge behind the bridge is often a sign that you need a neck reset.

My D12-28 had both a low saddle and a bit of a belly. I tried a Bridge Doctor to reduce the belly (didn't work and added other issues) - when I broke down and had the neck reset it also greatly reduced the belly. Even if a reset does not reduce the bulge it will change the angle enough that your action is acceptable.

It is also possible that you have loose top brace - tap on the top in different spots and listen for rattles. Last thought is that a severly over humidified guitar can have a bit of a bulge, but I would expect other issues too.

• Members

I've tried flattening the soundboard with strategically placed cauls and clamps, used humidity to "soften" the lot, then dehumidified after a few weeks and managed to get permanent results on a couple of Yamaha beaters, but it's a really hit and miss affair.

Archived