Good Small Acoustic?

EzzO)))

• Members

I used to have an acoustic but I found it a little bit big and uncomfortable to play. It wasn't a jumbo or anything but it just didn't feel good to sit and play. I know some companies make smaller acoustics (I don't mean those weird back pack acoustic things) I just don't know what the technical name for an acoustic thats about 3/4 the size of the standard size is called so it makes researching them kind of difficult. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Members

The smaller body acoustics are generally known, depending on the manufacturer, as OM, 000, "Concert" or "Orchestra" models. Smaller than a jumbo or a dreadnaught , much easier to sit and play with. You might want to consider those before moving to a 3/4 size guitar. Almost all of the major and budget manufacturers offer some sort of this type of model.

• Members

The correct technical term is exactly what you've used: 3/4 size guitar. There are a few of them out there that you can probably find by using "3/4" or '3/4" Acoustic' as a search criterion on the online music retail sites.

BUT... Are you sure this is what you want? Because there really isn't that much of a [good quality] selection compared to full-sized [and full-scale] guitars, the selection of which is frickin' ginormous. When you say that your previous guitar was too big, do you know what it was? A dreadnought, maybe? There are a lot of smaller full-size guitars out there that you might find much more comfortable. You may want to consider a parlor, 00 or 000 size, for example. The Martin guitar website may be helpful to you in terms of body size reference.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/size.html

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/features/shapes.html

Also, how much do you want to spend?

• Members

I am all about comfort. If somebody made a warm and fuzzy guitar, I'd buy it in a nanosecond.

That said, I find the two biggest comfort factors are body depth and scale length. Get something thin (like 4" deep) to make it easy to reach around (and huggable, of course).

And a shorter scale length has the effect of reducing string tension, makes it easier to reach the first frets, and reduces the fret spacing as well. All making it more comfortable to play.

Unfortunately, just searching for a "parlor" might not satisfy any of these constraints. Some of them are deep and regular scale length.

• Members

Thanks guys. I'm going to look into OM/000 size guitars as well as 3/4.

The acoustic I had before was made by a Canadian company called Norman.

It was a dreadnought. I found it uncomfortable to play both because of its size and the general feel of it.

I'm not looking to spend too much on this maybe $500-600?

I know there a lots of good brands that fall into that price range with used models. I'm not looking to grab a top of the line Martin or Taylor.

• Members

Try the Taylor Big Baby. 7/8 size. About $400.

Larrivee parlor. About $500-600 used.

My Alvarez MF1000C is one of my most comfortable gits. I got it cheap, but for some reason the price recently jumped up to $1000. 25" scale. 4" depth. OM size/shape. 1-3/4" nut.

• Members
Here's another good option:

Martin 000X1

Some people find it more comfortable than the Big Baby due to the slimmer waist.

Edit: and try the Guild GAD-30 and Epiphone EF500 series.

(I did your homework for you because I want to try some of these myself.
:)
)

I would avoid the martin 000X1 for $500 you can get better guitars than that, IMO

• Members

Check out Parker acoustics. They are smaller bodied and fit under the arm very comfortably. They also sound amazing and their acoustic/electrics have really good electronics. If you shop around on Ebay you can get one with all solid woods for a few hundred dollars.

Archived